pop3 mail to virtual pop

Post by duodav.. » Sun, 10 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I am a newbie using Linux (Mandrake 6.0) on my local machine (not a
server). I want to be able to download email from my POP account on my
ISP, then have my Linux machine behave like a POP server so I can view
the email using an application that ONLY supports POP, like Star Office.

In other words, if I can have my mailbox files pretend to be a POP
server I would be happy.

(BTW what brain decided to write Star Office for Linux without the
ability to read Mailbox files, or am I just missing something??)

How can I do this??

Thanks in advance.

-dave

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

pop3 mail to virtual pop

Post by Rod Smi » Sun, 10 Oct 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I am a newbie using Linux (Mandrake 6.0) on my local machine (not a
> server). I want to be able to download email from my POP account on my
> ISP, then have my Linux machine behave like a POP server so I can view
> the email using an application that ONLY supports POP, like Star Office.

> In other words, if I can have my mailbox files pretend to be a POP
> server I would be happy.

No need to pretend.  The solution to your problem involves two components:

1) Fetchmail.  This is a Linux program that downloads mail from POP
   servers and inserts it into your local mail queue.  It can be run in
   "daemon" mode, so that it checks mail every xx minutes.  It comes with
   most or all Linux distributions.
2) A POP mail server.  In Red Hat, I believe there's one in the imap
   package, but I don't know if the same is true of Mandrake.  IIRC, it's
   basically just a matter of installing the package and then maybe
   restarting a daemon or two (or restarting the computer, if you don't
   want to track down the daemon to restart).  There are also other POP
   mail servers, like qpopper, and I believe one comes with Qmail (which
   is a replacement for the standard Sendmail).

Once you've installed and configured these, you should be able to read
mail with any POP mail client locally by pointing it to "localhost" or
whatever you call your machine locally.

Quote:> (BTW what brain decided to write Star Office for Linux without the
> ability to read Mailbox files, or am I just missing something??)

My guess is this design is an artifact of the cross-platform nature of the
program.  Either StarOffice was originally designed for non-UNIX OSs and
they just never bothered to add the functionality, or it was something
that was of limited utility outside of the UNIX sphere, so it got given a
very low priority and never implemented.  As I'm not an expert on
StarOffice history, though, those are just guesses on my part.

--

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
Author of _Special Edition Using Corel WordPerfect 8 for Linux_, from Que

pop3 mail to virtual pop

Post by Chri » Sun, 10 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> [Posted and mailed]

> > I am a newbie using Linux (Mandrake 6.0) on my local machine (not a
> > server). I want to be able to download email from my POP account on my
> > ISP, then have my Linux machine behave like a POP server so I can view
> > the email using an application that ONLY supports POP, like Star Office.

> > In other words, if I can have my mailbox files pretend to be a POP
> > server I would be happy.

> No need to pretend.  The solution to your problem involves two components:

> 1) Fetchmail.  This is a Linux program that downloads mail from POP
>    servers and inserts it into your local mail queue.  It can be run in
>    "daemon" mode, so that it checks mail every xx minutes.  It comes with
>    most or all Linux distributions.
> 2) A POP mail server.  In Red Hat, I believe there's one in the imap
>    package, but I don't know if the same is true of Mandrake.  IIRC, it's
>    basically just a matter of installing the package and then maybe
>    restarting a daemon or two (or restarting the computer, if you don't
>    want to track down the daemon to restart).  There are also other POP
>    mail servers, like qpopper, and I believe one comes with Qmail (which
>    is a replacement for the standard Sendmail).

> Once you've installed and configured these, you should be able to read
> mail with any POP mail client locally by pointing it to "localhost" or
> whatever you call your machine locally.

> > (BTW what brain decided to write Star Office for Linux without the
> > ability to read Mailbox files, or am I just missing something??)

> My guess is this design is an artifact of the cross-platform nature of the
> program.  Either StarOffice was originally designed for non-UNIX OSs and
> they just never bothered to add the functionality, or it was something
> that was of limited utility outside of the UNIX sphere, so it got given a
> very low priority and never implemented.  As I'm not an expert on
> StarOffice history, though, those are just guesses on my part.

> --

> http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
> Author of _Special Edition Using Corel WordPerfect 8 for Linux_, from Que

I think a simpler way can resolve this,  configure your netscape messenger
to take up your pop3 emails
just need your isp  mail server name  , thats it. if works for me!

ywk

pop3 mail to virtual pop

Post by Peter Caffi » Mon, 11 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I am a newbie using Linux (Mandrake 6.0) on my local machine (not a
> server). I want to be able to download email from my POP account on my
> ISP, then have my Linux machine behave like a POP server so I can view
> the email using an application that ONLY supports POP, like Star Office.

Have a look at http://it.net.au/~pc/comp/linux/fetch-for-domain.html
which gives a fairly good example of how to use Fetchmail to download
to your machine using POP3. It's got nice little examples for single
drop and multi-drop.

I'd recommend cucipop as the POP3 daemon of choice.

Quote:> In other words, if I can have my mailbox files pretend to be a POP
> server I would be happy.

Given what you're really after, though, I don't see why you want to
bother. Why not just let StarOffice or Netscape query your ISP's POP3
server directly if that's all you're after?

Oops.

--
 _           _    _ _

| (/_|(/_|  |_(_|| | || |  http://it.net.au/~pc |
        PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |

pop3 mail to virtual pop

Post by Rod Smi » Mon, 11 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>> [Posted and mailed]

>> > I am a newbie using Linux (Mandrake 6.0) on my local machine (not a
>> > server). I want to be able to download email from my POP account on my
>> > ISP, then have my Linux machine behave like a POP server so I can view
>> > the email using an application that ONLY supports POP, like Star Office.

>> > In other words, if I can have my mailbox files pretend to be a POP
>> > server I would be happy.

[My solution snipped....]

Quote:> I think a simpler way can resolve this,  configure your netscape messenger
> to take up your pop3 emails
> just need your isp  mail server name  , thats it. if works for me!

I assumed in my response that the original poster had some reason for
wanting to do it like this, such as a desire to read both local and remote
e-mail using StarOffice.  This could certainly be important, particularly
if you've got a system configured to e-mail stuff like firewall logs or
something.

--

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
Author of _Special Edition Using Corel WordPerfect 8 for Linux_, from Que

1. pop3 mail to virtual pop

I am a newbie using Linux (Mandrake 6.0) on my local machine (not a
server). I want to be able to download email from my POP account on my
ISP, then have my Linux machine behave like a POP server so I can view
the email using an application that ONLY supports POP, like Star Office.

In other words, if I can have my mailbox files pretend to be a POP
server I would be happy.

(BTW what brain decided to write Star Office for Linux without the
ability to read Mailbox files, or am I just missing something??)

How can I do this??

Thanks in advance.

-dave

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Need help on Solaris 2.5 command

3. alright, ac97 -> sb 16 pci, why funky?

4. Send/Recv POP3 mail locally w/o using POP client?

5. More than 255 virtual IP interfaces on Solaris 2.5

6. Virtual pop mail does not work?

7. TLAN Driver

8. Virtual Pop Mail Account Troubles

9. Virtual domain and popping mail - loss of envelope

10. Pop server for virtual pop accounts

11. HELP: virtual hosting, mail, pop3

12. pop3 login fails on virtual host imap mail server