COMMERCIAL: New Linux Programming Book

Post by Dave Phillip » Tue, 29 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I would like to make an observation:

  I purchased MIS's "Linux: Configuration and Installation" in order to
install my first Linux system (kernel 1.2.13). More recently I purchased
the MIS "Linux Programming": prospective buyers should be aware that the
first 114 pages of this 374 page book are a rehash or literal reprint of
the first part of "Linux: Configuration and Installation". Further, the
actual utility of the programming content is quite thin when compared to
the Wrox press "Beginning Linux Programming". The MIS book is more of an
overview of available languages and programming tools, it isn't really
much of an in-depth guide to Linux programming.

  I don't have a problem with Slackware, I don't really mind that MIS
does what it does, but the advertising seemed to me to necessitate a
response. Bear in mind that it cost me US$40 to purchase a book, 1/3 of
which I already owned. That has definitely put me off purchasing other
books from MIS. Considering that they have inaugurated an ambitious
series of Linux books, I'm loath to repurchase 100+ pages for each book.

  Sorry if this has offended anyone, I just thought MIS might want to
reconsider how they're packaging that series.

  OTOH, the latest from O'Reilly is the excellent "Linux In A Nutshell",
highly recommended. Btw, I do not represent O'Reilly or MIS in any way.
I buy their books and read them.

== Dave Phillips

   http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html

COMMERCIAL: New Linux Programming Book

Post by Dr. W » Wed, 30 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I've noticed this too.  The local bookstore has some 3 or 4 different books...
one on Programming, another on Database, another on setting up ISP's... etc.
The books really don't go very in depth in their supposed topics.

Also, (and the main reason I responded here)  have you had any problems with
the installation of Linux from MIS?  A friend of mind purchased the "Slackware
96"  installation from MIS and has had nothing but problems... mainly with
certain programs simply not working (sudo, syslog, etc...) and usually
dumping core files all over the place.

There were a few other small bugs in it as well but I don't recall them
offhand.  I wonder if there was just a bad installation that was making the
rounds or if that is a common problem with the cd's from MIS?

: