clone() missing from GCC library?

Post by sl.. » Sat, 17 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I recently tried making a process that would ping another running process to
see if it had hung.  If the second process didnt respond within one minute,
it was supposed to in theory be killed.  My grandiose scheme was proceeding
nicely, until I discovered that clone(); does not exist in any of the GCC
libraries...

Can anyone tell me where I can get or find a library that has the clone()
call in it?  The man page says that fork() uses the clone() proc, but I cant
link it in.  No, fork wont seem to work... I really dont want to duplicate
a 7 meg database, and the two processes dont communicate worth a shit anyway.
I want to be able to have both processes running on the same data, so that
one can signal the other to decide if there is a problem.

Thanks, -dentin