Colors

Post by David Bildstr? » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi...

I was just wondering if one could change the bpp depth from within X and if
so, how?

Colors

Post by D. Vrabe » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

Quote:> I was just wondering if one could change the bpp depth from within X and if
> so, how?

You can't while X is running.  You can only change color depth on starting
X.  You can however start two X servers (each one on a different VT) with
different color depths.

David
--
David Vrabel
Engineering Undergraduate at University of Cambridge, UK.

Colors

Post by David Bildstr? » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

D. Vrabel skrev i meddelandet ...

Quote:>Hello,

>> I was just wondering if one could change the bpp depth from within X and
if
>> so, how?
>You can't while X is running.  You can only change color depth on starting
>X.  You can however start two X servers (each one on a different VT) with
>different color depths.

>David
>--
>David Vrabel
>Engineering Undergraduate at University of Cambridge, UK.

Ok... Thanx...

Colors

Post by brian » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

>Hello,

>> I was just wondering if one could change the bpp depth from within X and
if
>> so, how?
>You can't while X is running.  You can only change color depth on starting

X.

** This isn't true.  If you configure X to use several different resolutions
and bpp settings (in the XFree86 config file - use a configuration program)
you can then cycle through them by pressing Ctrl-Alt-+
So there. :-p

You can however start two X servers (each one on a different VT) with

Quote:>different color depths.

>David
>--
>David Vrabel
>Engineering Undergraduate at University of Cambridge, UK.

Colors

Post by D. Vrabe » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

> >> I was just wondering if one could change the bpp depth from within X and
> if
> >> so, how?
> >You can't while X is running.  You can only change color depth on
> >starting X.

> ** This isn't true.  If you configure X to use several different resolutions
> and bpp settings (in the XFree86 config file - use a configuration program)
> you can then cycle through them by pressing Ctrl-Alt-+
> So there. :-p

No you are wrong.  You can only change resolutions *not* color depth.

Quote:> You can however start two X servers (each one on a different VT) with
> >different color depths.

David