Help Help, Help me with my Red Hat installation problem

Help Help, Help me with my Red Hat installation problem

Post by Kevin Dunba » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hello Happy Holidays,

I'm having a very hard time installing Red Hat Linux on my PC.  I have a
200Mhz Pentium with 48Megs of ram, and 5 gigs on the hard drive.   I'm
trying to use the hard drive specifically for Linux.

 The problem is with my graphics card; it's an Elsa Gloria -L 16meg PCI.
Red Hat states that they support my card, but I can't seem to get it
working.  I was under the impression that when I install Linux, I would be
able to select the correct drivers from a menu with in the Lunux
installation.   I can't get past the born shell.  When I enter the command
startx,  the system goes blank and a message appears stating that the server
kill.

 Also When I attempt to configure the x server I don't know what type of
clock my card has.  I know that it has I 3D Labs chip set, but that's about
it.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Red Hat's Page hardware compatibility

www.redhat.com/support/hardware/intel/61/rh6.1-hcl-i.ld-10.html#video...
6-sort-man

Elsa Home Page   www.Elsa.com

Help Help, Help me with my Red Hat installation problem

Post by youn.. » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

You want to have the following rpm's installed:
  XFree86-xfs
  XFree86-3DLabs       # should work with your Elsa Gloria card
  XFree86-75dpi-fonts-
  XFree86-libs
  XFree86-100dpi
  XFree86
  XFree86-XF86Setup    # used for setup
  XFree86-VGA16        # required by XF86Setup

From a root console login run:
  XF86Setup

Use your mouse to make selections.  I have found
this to be the easiest way to configure X.

Best of luck...

> Hello Happy Holidays,

> I'm having a very hard time installing Red Hat Linux on my PC.  I have a
> 200Mhz Pentium with 48Megs of ram, and 5 gigs on the hard drive.   I'm
> trying to use the hard drive specifically for Linux.

>  The problem is with my graphics card; it's an Elsa Gloria -L 16meg PCI.
> Red Hat states that they support my card, but I can't seem to get it
> working.  I was under the impression that when I install Linux, I would be
> able to select the correct drivers from a menu with in the Lunux
> installation.   I can't get past the born shell.  When I enter the command
> startx,  the system goes blank and a message appears stating that the server
> kill.

>  Also When I attempt to configure the x server I don't know what type of
> clock my card has.  I know that it has I 3D Labs chip set, but that's about
> it.

> Thanks in advance

> Kevin

> Red Hat's Page hardware compatibility

> www.redhat.com/support/hardware/intel/61/rh6.1-hcl-i.ld-10.html#video...
> 6-sort-man

> Elsa Home Page   www.Elsa.com

1. Red Hat 8.0 Help help help

well i tryed up grading from 7.3 to 8.0 on the computer i use linux on
and i have run in to a problem , i hope someone can help , the install
go's real good until i reboot, then it gets down to {init ver 2.84}
and just stops ,can someone tell me what to do, here is some system
specs GateWay slot 1 athlon then jabil kadoa mother board ,promise
ultra 100 controller ,wd  40 gig hard drive , G force 2 mmx 400 32mb
,the motherboard chip set is a amd 756

2. Need Help: MacX connection to Linux

3. Help me with my Red Hat installation problem

4. Micro-Sinux Distro?

5. Pleae help!! Red Hat installation problem.

6. security hole in SysVr4 .... NOT

7. Help me with my Red Hat installation problem

8. inux on PowerTrip laptop?

9. Red Hat Linux 4.2 Installation Help

10. Red Hat 6.0 installation - Help!!

11. Please help me with my Linux Red Hat 5.2 installation

12. Please HELP...Red Hat 2.1 Installation

13. ATI Xpert@Work - Red Hat 6.1 - installation help required