loopback device - documentation?

Post by Steven M. Ziuchkovs » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I read that the loopback device allows you to mount a file as if it were a
block device as a filesystem. Where can I get some documentation on it's
use? I've looked in the source tree, the HOWTOs, and searched the LSMs, and
have found nothing.

Steve

loopback device - documentation?

Post by Laurie Harp » Tue, 02 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Steven M. Ziuchkovski is rumored to have said:

Quote:>I read that the loopback device allows you to mount a file as if it were a
>block device as a filesystem. Where can I get some documentation on it's
>use? I've looked in the source tree, the HOWTOs, and searched the LSMs, and
>have found nothing.

The loopback device is not really relevant here.  What you are looking for
is user software and/or device drivers to do the file system translation.

Two posibilities come to mind, depending on what you want to do.  The
Midnight Commander (http://stekt.oulu.fi/~jtklehto/mc) has support for using
tar files, ftp and many other things like a file system, through its user
interface.  See the 'Midnight Commander' thread on this group for some info.

Alternatively, you could look at userfs which does all sorts of stuff, but
will need more work to get going.  You can find it on various Linux sites.
It includes file systems for ftp, mail boxes and others and is extensible,
so you can add whatever you like to it.

Cheers,
                Laurie

--

                         |  upside down. And I have done it all for *you*.
All opinions open to     |  am exhausted from living up to your
  negotiation :-)        |  expectations."  --- The Goblin King

Post by Andries Brouw » Mon, 08 Apr 1996 05:00:00

Steven M. Ziuchkovski is rumored to have said:

:: I read that the loopback device allows you to mount a file as if it were a
:: block device as a filesystem. Where can I get some documentation on it's
:: use? I've looked in the source tree, the HOWTOs, and searched the LSMs, and
:: have found nothing.

Maybe you should call it the loop device, in order to avoid confusion.
Some documentation can be found in Configure.help.
Please note that this device is not quite functional yet -
you'll get a deadlock if you aren't careful.

1. Loopback device as root device

I've been running a Linux system for some time now, and fool around with
it all the time. So... I'm booting from floppies once in a while to
recover problems that I cause for myself.

Anyway, I decided to follow the Loopback device as a root device mini0
HOWTO, and as far as I can tell, I have everything set up correctly. I
want to use this instead of floppies.

The kernel loads and initializes, then loads the initial ramdisk image
into memory, and it says that the ext2 partition was mounted successfully.
However, immediately after this, I get attempt to read past end of device
errors (and something about a bread error). It almost seems that the
partition type isn't recognized or something. It doesn't even start
to execute the /linuxrc file.

When I already have Linux loaded, I can mount the file just fine.

Does anyone know what's happening here?

TIA,
Steve

2. Setting modprobe options

3. problem with ethernet loopback test using loopback plug/stub: receiving socket not seeing packet.

4. kde3.0 & .Xresources

5. loopback != loopback.uwc.edu (?)

6. BAD_SIGNATURE ON G3

7. :All of your loopback devices are in use.

8. PCNFS security

9. Booting problem on LOOPback device

10. ran out of loopback devices

11. Redhat 6.2, mkinitrd, and loopback devices

12. unable to mount 'remote' loopback block devices

13. Large offsets w/ loopback device?