Help with 1.3.77.

Post by 199.232.252.1 » Tue, 26 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I cannot get 1.3.77 to compile past ppp.c...
I have ppp support in and was wondering if their is a problem with ppp in
1.3.77 kernel??

        - David Berthiaume Jr.

Help with 1.3.77.

Post by Alan Osbor » Wed, 27 Mar 1996 04:00:00

    David> I cannot get 1.3.77 to compile past ppp.c...  I have ppp

I had this problem and thought I might have missed/messed-up a patch
or something - so rather than hack about I got the entire source-tree
and it all compiled just fine.

--
AlanO

Help with 1.3.77.

Post by Arthur D. Jeriji » Wed, 27 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I cannot get 1.3.77 to compile past ppp.c...
>I have ppp support in and was wondering if their is a problem with ppp in
>1.3.77 kernel??

        Can you post a log of errors that you get when you try to compile
ppp.c?  The more information you give, the more we could help solve
your problem.  Otherwise, it is either problem with the code (which I
doubt--I compiled 1.3.77 with PPP support into the kernel and not as a
module), a problem with GCC, or a problem with your hardware.  If you
get "cc1 caught fatal signal 11" in random places, I suggest you look
at http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/ for the most recent Sig11 FAQ.
        I hope this helps.

Quote:>    - David Berthiaume Jr.

--adj

Help with 1.3.77.

Post by Al Longye » Thu, 28 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>    David> I cannot get 1.3.77 to compile past ppp.c...  I have ppp
>I had this problem and thought I might have missed/messed-up a patch
>or something - so rather than hack about I got the entire source-tree
>and it all compiled just fine.

There seems to be a common problem which many people have.

The problem is not with the Linux kernel. The drivers in the 1.3.77
kernel have been corrected to not use u_int32_t. They now use __u32
instead which is defined in the linux/types.h include file.

The problem is not with the ppp code. (I am sorry, but it truly isn't.)

The problem is that many people have old versions of the libc include files.

You should do one of two things to correct the problem:

1. Upgrade the libc package and the include files to the latest ELF versions,

or,

2. Edit the file /usr/include/sys/types.h. Add the statement

#include <sys/bitypes.h>

after the statement

#include <linux/types.h>

since this will bring the types.h file up to the current revisions.

--

The above opinions do not necessarily represent those of the Management
of System Integrators nor any of its subsidiaries.

1. Kernel Change Summary 1.3.77

Kernel Change Summary
Linux 1.3.77 (1867 lines)
Sun 24 Mar 1996

My KCS archive: ftp://ftp.shout.net/pub/users/mec/kcs

arch/i386/kernel/setup.c: fix bug in detecting 486.
drivers/cdrom/mcd.c: added unregister_blkdev to mcd_init() [Bjorn Ekwall].
drivers/scsi/NCR5380.c: added stats.
fs/nfs/nfsroot.c: fixed wired inode handling [Gerd Knorr];
    "0.0.0.0" addresses from command line ignored [Martin Mares];
    RARP replies not tested for server address [Martin Mares].
fs/proc/array.c: get_kstat(): add total_forks.
include/asm-alpha/atomic.h: atomic operations.
include/asm-i386/atomic.h: atomic operations.

Michael Chastain

2. Jumpstart problems with NIS+

3. VFAT and win95 using 1.3.77

4. So what happened to The Linux Networking Pages?

5. top & 1.3.77, 1.3.74

6. Ethernet Cards.

7. Need a new arp program for 1.3.77?

8. AIX Mailing lists?

9. iBCS for 1.3.77

10. 1.3.77 with Future Domain kernel needed !

11. Exabyte problems under 1.3.77

12. modems get locked up with linux 1.3.77 and mgetty0.99

13. Linux Divide by zero error when running "ps u" 1.3.77