tar: can't open /dev/nst0 : No such device

tar: can't open /dev/nst0 : No such device

Post by Inquizidor Knigh » Sun, 14 Jul 1996 04:00:00

What does this mean?  I looked in the dev directory
and found the /dev/nst0 to be there.  Anyone happen to know
what this is?  Or how I can fix it?

Post by Hugh McCur » Mon, 15 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>What does this mean?  I looked in the dev directory
>and found the /dev/nst0 to be there.  Anyone happen to know
>what this is?  Or how I can fix it?

It means that tar is looking for a device called nst0, which isn't
installed in your computer.  That's OK, it isn't in my computer
either.

What you didn't say is what you are trying to do!  This makes it
pretty difficult to provide you with a good answer.

I suggest you read the man page on tar.

However, to give you a start, I'm going to guess that you are trying
to copy to a floppy disk.

#  tar  cvf  /dev/fd0  [files...]

should do the trick.

A final point that isn't covered in my copy of the man pages for tar.
You can set the default tape device for any user by setting the
environment variable TAPE to /dev/fd0 for that user (the .login or
profile file).

Hugh McCurdy

Post by Jason Costomir » Mon, 15 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: What does this mean?  I looked in the dev directory
: and found the /dev/nst0 to be there.  Anyone happen to know
: what this is?  Or how I can fix it?

It means you're trying to use non-rewinding SCSI Tape #0.  It does not
exist on your computer.  You can fix this buy running to the store and
buying a SCSI tape drive.  Then install it, and (if necessary), a SCSI
adapter.

Or, you were trying to just work with files on your hard drive, and don't
know how to run tar.  In that case, man tar is your friend.....

--

       My employers like me, but not enough to let me speak for them...
          "Duct tape is like The Force; it has a light side and a

Post by Nir Soff » Tue, 16 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: What does this mean?  I looked in the dev directory
: and found the /dev/nst0 to be there.  Anyone happen to know
: what this is?  Or how I can fix it?
tar looks up the tape drive by default, to use it with a file use the -f
[filename] option.
i.e, to untar a file use tar -xf [filename]

Regards,
Nir.

--
'I know what we should do, we should get Shamir and Assad, and lock them
 in a room.'

1. Help: tar can't open /dev/nst0

        Hi, I'm having a problem with 'tar' on my Linux system.  Whenever I try
to tar or un-tar something it brings up the message, 'tar: can't open /dev/nst0
: No such device'  But when I look in /dev the nst0 device is right there.  In
fact here is what it looks like when I do a 'ls -la':
crw-w-r   1 root      disk   9,128  Jul 18 1994  nst0

        Any ideas what might be causing my problem?  I've even tried
re-installing the 'a' series from my Slackware 3.0 CD.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

2. Kernel modules and Daemons - architecture question

3. tar error: cannot open /dev/nst0

4. Can't install Skunk2/Updates/Lynx-2.5

5. tar: can't open /dev/nts0 : no such device

6. Linux on windows based network HELP

7. can't open /dev/nst0

8. NT and Linux ...

9. Tar: can't open /dev/rmt0 : No such device or address (What?????!!!!!)

10. Error can't open device nst0

11. Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device)

12. device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device) (with onbaord via soundcard)