rh 7.1 won't shutdown properly

Post by Jukka-Pekka Suominen I » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 20:22:56

Hi,
when booting rh 7.1 straight into X (runlevel 5), the system
won't shutdown cleanly, but complains
mount: can't unmount / device busy

This doesn't happen when booting into console mode (runlevel 3)
and starting X manually. Does anyone have any clues why this
happens?

-JP

rh 7.1 won't shutdown properly

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 21:06:55

Quote:> when booting rh 7.1 straight into X (runlevel 5), the system
> won't shutdown cleanly, but complains
> mount: can't unmount / device busy

Is this after all the processes have been sent the TERM signal?

--

Software Developer, Engineering Services
Red Hat, Inc.

QUIPd 1.00: (660 of 710)
-> A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
-> - Robert Heinlein

1. Newbie- RH 7.1 won't boot

Greetings!
I'm running RH 7.1 on a hand-me-down generic P133.  Since day one, the
monitor has had bouts with intermittent noise (dots appearing, a few at
first, then propagating to take on the whole screen) that comes and goes
about every 15 minutes.  Then, this afternoon, for no good reason, the
system hung, and I was forced to restart using the reset key.
Now, when I try and reboot, it gets as far as checking the root file
system, and that produces a message "/ contains a file system with
errors, check forced."  It checks and returns with a message of
"Unattached inode 336" and then "/: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck
MANUALLY. (i.e., without -a or -p options)  [failed]
I get sent to a shell, where I can enter the root password, and that's
the point where I am totally lost.
Does anyone have an idea as to what I can do to remedy this?
Thanks,
-=>Carsten:-)

2. new hard drive, old motherboard, and linux

3. Netgear FA411 ethernet pcmcia card won't run in RH 7.1

4. And Linux zips it up!

5. Anon FTP won't allow upload - RH 7.1

6. dual-boot w/ 2 versions of FreeBSD

7. WP Office 2000 won';t run with rh 7.1

8. connecting to computer w/ telnet

9. eth0 won't start after upgrade to RH 7.1

10. 2.4.2-2 kernel compiles-won't load - RH 7.1

11. Redhat 7.1 'eepro100' and 'e100' drivers won't see 10BaseT network

12. RH 7.1 new install hangs on ctrl-alt-del shutdown

13. Init/Shutdown problems on RH 7.1