SWAP File

Post by Micheal Hil » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 08:26:45

On my linux machine i was running samba. Another win-xp machine on the
network was accessing images on the server and i started getting messages
written out to the console talking about SWAP and some kernel messages. Is
there some kind of diagnostics i can run on 1) the hard disks in the machine
and 2) how do I evaluate my swap space?

Mike

SWAP File

Post by Jeroen Geilma » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 18:30:27

says...

Quote:> On my linux machine i was running samba. Another win-xp machine on the
> network was accessing images on the server and i started getting messages
> written out to the console talking about SWAP and some kernel messages. Is
> there some kind of diagnostics i can run on 1) the hard disks in the machine
> and 2) how do I evaluate my swap space?

1. Post the messages. ALWAYS post the messages.

2. If you want to check your hard disk for errors (no way of determining
that this is what you mean) then #man fsck

3. To see what your Linux swap-space (NOT a file) is doing, type: #free
This will show you how much memory (real & swap) the system is using.

4. check the system load with #uptime (5, 10 & 15 min. averages)  or
#top (continuous)

On an IDE system it is usual for samba to consume anything up to 50-60%
of the CPU load when transferring large files - my Celeron 533 on a
(badly designed) VIA motherboard uses about half the CPU time to reach
its top IDE transfer speed of 5 MB/sec... which, frankly, sucks.

And read (and learn to understand) the samba log files - if you increase
the log level for the smbd process to 3 or 4 you'll get more debug info
than you can read in a YEAR...

SWAP File

Post by Micheal Hil » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 07:05:38

How's this swap?

#free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:         30792      17584      13208      11836       3044       8824
-/+ buffers/cache:       5716      25076
Swap:        66996          0      66996

Mike

> says...
> > On my linux machine i was running samba. Another win-xp machine on the
> > network was accessing images on the server and i started getting
messages
> > written out to the console talking about SWAP and some kernel messages.
Is
> > there some kind of diagnostics i can run on 1) the hard disks in the
machine
> > and 2) how do I evaluate my swap space?

> 1. Post the messages. ALWAYS post the messages.

> 2. If you want to check your hard disk for errors (no way of determining
> that this is what you mean) then #man fsck

> 3. To see what your Linux swap-space (NOT a file) is doing, type: #free
> This will show you how much memory (real & swap) the system is using.

> 4. check the system load with #uptime (5, 10 & 15 min. averages)  or
> #top (continuous)

> On an IDE system it is usual for samba to consume anything up to 50-60%
> of the CPU load when transferring large files - my Celeron 533 on a
> (badly designed) VIA motherboard uses about half the CPU time to reach
> its top IDE transfer speed of 5 MB/sec... which, frankly, sucks.

> And read (and learn to understand) the samba log files - if you increase
> the log level for the smbd process to 3 or 4 you'll get more debug info
> than you can read in a YEAR...

SWAP File

Post by Floyd Davidso » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 08:07:40

>How's this swap?

>#free
>             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
>Mem:         30792      17584      13208      11836       3044       8824
>-/+ buffers/cache:       5716      25076
>Swap:        66996          0      66996

That actually doesn't tell much.  You have, roughly, 32 Mb of
RAM and 64Mb of swap, which gives you about 96Mb of Virtual
Memory.  Not much.  I would recomment adding another 100Mb, at
least, of swap space.

It is also obvious that you have recently booted your box.  No swap
at all is used, and there is more "free" memory than is being used
by buffers and cache put together!

What are the chances your problem was simply that you ran out of
Virtual Memory space?  If you were running Emacs and had any kind of
an image editing or even image veiwing program running...  that would
make it very possible to just eat all of your swap space.  Heck,
netscape has a memory leak that can do that in nothing flat!

If you have X running you might try using xsysinfo to allow you to
graphically watch what your box is doing.

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>

SWAP File

Post by Micheal Hil » Tue, 10 Sep 2002 06:57:40

I got the following message:

"swap_free: swap-space map bad (000008000)"

I've seen it in my message log .....

Mike

> >How's this swap?

> >#free
> >             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
> >Mem:         30792      17584      13208      11836       3044       8824
> >-/+ buffers/cache:       5716      25076
> >Swap:        66996          0      66996

> That actually doesn't tell much.  You have, roughly, 32 Mb of
> RAM and 64Mb of swap, which gives you about 96Mb of Virtual
> Memory.  Not much.  I would recomment adding another 100Mb, at
> least, of swap space.

> It is also obvious that you have recently booted your box.  No swap
> at all is used, and there is more "free" memory than is being used
> by buffers and cache put together!

> What are the chances your problem was simply that you ran out of
> Virtual Memory space?  If you were running Emacs and had any kind of
> an image editing or even image veiwing program running...  that would
> make it very possible to just eat all of your swap space.  Heck,
> netscape has a memory leak that can do that in nothing flat!

> If you have X running you might try using xsysinfo to allow you to
> graphically watch what your box is doing.

> >Mike

> >> 1. Post the messages. ALWAYS post the messages.

> >> 2. If you want to check your hard disk for errors (no way of
determining
> >> that this is what you mean) then #man fsck

> >> 3. To see what your Linux swap-space (NOT a file) is doing, type: #free
> >> This will show you how much memory (real & swap) the system is using.

> >> 4. check the system load with #uptime (5, 10 & 15 min. averages)  or
> >> #top (continuous)

> >> On an IDE system it is usual for samba to consume anything up to 50-60%
> >> of the CPU load when transferring large files - my Celeron 533 on a
> >> (badly designed) VIA motherboard uses about half the CPU time to reach
> >> its top IDE transfer speed of 5 MB/sec... which, frankly, sucks.

> >> And read (and learn to understand) the samba log files - if you
increase
> >> the log level for the smbd process to 3 or 4 you'll get more debug info
> >> than you can read in a YEAR...

> --
> Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>

1. MS-DOS Swap File vs. Swap Partition

Hello, All;

What performance difference, if any, should I expect to see between a
native Linux swap partition and a swap file residing on an MS-DOS
partition?

I'm currently using my Microsoft Windows swap file as a Linux swap
file, and I'm considering adding a dedicated Linux swap partition as
well.  If there's no performance benefit, I may as well just use a
larger Windows swap file.

Bruce

2. X-Windows performance/Riva 128/Linux

3. Swap file VS Swap partition

4. FDD Dos Filesystem Blues

5. Linux Swap Partition and Win3.1 Swap File

6. Solaris CPU balancing

7. How to make swap files instead of swap partions???

8. First Vax?

9. Swap File vs. Swap Partition - which is better?

10. a newbie question about swap -a and the swap file system

11. swap file instead of swap partition

12. swap file vs swap partition

13. Why swap partition not swap file?