character device for usb mouse

Post by l.. » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 00:56:14

Hi

I have some problems getting my usb mouse working
with linux.
I use the 2.4 Kernel and got all necessary options
activated.
I can see that my mouse is recognised at boot.
I've read that it should then be available through
/dev/input/mice (mknod .. c 13 63).
I trying to cat this device to look for something
to come up when moving the mouse, but it doesnt work.
Is it right that the usb mouse should be accessible
through that device, no matter which of the usb ports
it is connected to?

Thanks for your help.

Post by Skylar Thompso » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 03:01:09

> Hi

> I have some problems getting my usb mouse working
> with linux.
> I use the 2.4 Kernel and got all necessary options
> activated.
> I can see that my mouse is recognised at boot.
> I've read that it should then be available through
> /dev/input/mice (mknod .. c 13 63).
> I trying to cat this device to look for something
> to come up when moving the mouse, but it doesnt work.
> Is it right that the usb mouse should be accessible
> through that device, no matter which of the usb ports
> it is connected to?

According to devices.txt in the Documentation directory of the kernel
source tree, the first USB mouse is called /dev/usb/mouse0, which is a
character device with major number 180, minor number 16. I believe the path
is the same if you are using the device filesystem, but devfsd should
create the node anyways. You might also consider using usbmgr, which will
automatically load.unload all the necessary USB modules for you.

--

Post by c.. » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 09:51:25

> Hi

> I have some problems getting my usb mouse working
> with linux.
> I use the 2.4 Kernel and got all necessary options
> activated.
> I can see that my mouse is recognised at boot.
> I've read that it should then be available through
> /dev/input/mice (mknod .. c 13 63).
   ...<snip>
> Thanks for your help.

I don't have a usb mouse, but I have a usb printer and scanner, and
the device nodes are /dev/usb/printer and /dev/usb/scanner.  Maybe
there's a /dev/usr/mouse???

If you're seeing the mouse at startup then it's probably compiled
or moduled into the kernel OK, but you might want to check your
kernel config anyway.

--
Replace ragwind.loc or bluemouth.loc with rahul for my real email address

1. USB device has no driver in /proc/bus/usb/devices

I've got a Atmel-based DWL-120A USB NIC, and I'm trying to get my new Debian
installation (2.6 kernel) to recognize it.

The /proc/bus/usb/devices file contains an entry for this card, which I can
recognize by its vendor ID.  The entry, however, shows the "driver" field
as a blank.  I have an atmel driver, but installing that module doesn't
help because I don't know how to link the USB device to the driver module.

'dmesg' shows that a USB device is connected to the USB port, but it doesn't
assign it a device name (eth0 or wlan0 would be nice).  Therefore,
'ifconfig' and 'iwconfig' don't recognize a NIC.

What do I need to do to get the kernel to recognize that this is a
configurable wireless LAN card, rather than just a generic USB device of
some kind?

Thanks.

Gary

2. Info on dbm/ndbm

3. character device, block device , raw device?

4. ioctl32 cleanup -- sparc64 parts

5. Howto map USB input devices and mouse buttons to key.

6. ZIP problems

7. Help: character device vs. block device

8. upgrade using /stand/sysinstall

9. Q: Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical USB & PS/2 Compatible + USB = problem

10. SuSE on Mac/Help with configuring Laserprinter, USB ports and USB mouse

11. [2.5.52][USB] USB Device unusable

12. usb-ohci.c: usb-00:14.0, PCI device 10b9:5237 Hang in installation Redhat8

13. Apple USB mouse w/Orange Micro PCI USB/Firewire card wont work!