Laser Printer by Brother (HL-1240)

Post by Rod Smi » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

> Hi,

> I have a need to put my Linux machine with a local Laser printer.  So

> id: HL-1240.  I took a look but it does not say if the Laser printer is
> postscript capable.  I am started to wonder if such a printer without a
> postscript capability will be supported under Linux OS.

IIRC, the HL-1240 is a semi-crippled beast. It supports some relatively
low level of PCL (PCL 4 or thereabouts), which means you can get it to
crank out 300 dpi output under Linux, but no better. If you want a
Brother, look at the next higher-up model, the HL-1250, which is capable
of doing 600 dpi via PCL 5e.

If you want PostScript capability, there are other options, but most or
all of them will be more expensive than the low-end HL-1240 or even the
HL-1250. Beware of printers that have PostScript interpreters implemented
as Windows drivers; these are akin to Ghostscript, and do Linux users no
good.

--

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
Author of _Special Edition Using Corel WordPerfect 8 for Linux_, from Que

1. Brother HL-1240

I'm considering the purchase of the Brother HL-1240 laser printer. However,
Brother's website seems to make no mention of linux support whatsoever. Does
anyone have any experience with these printers under linux? I'm pretty sure
it is not a winprinter, but are there drivers available for linux to make
this printer work?

Thanks

2. where goes the prompt ?

3. Printing, apsfilter & samba & brother hl-1240

4. tcp/ip w/sco unix 3.2 4.2?

5. Brother HL-1240

6. Touchscreen setup question

7. Setting up Brother HL-1040 or HL-1050 laser printer

8. blank screen after a few minutes

9. Help - Brother HL-730Plus Laser printer driver

10. Driver/interface to a Brother HL-630 laser printer?

11. Brother HL-660 600dpi Laser Printer

12. Driver for Brother HL 720 laser printer (ghostscript)

13. Brother HL-730DX laser printer