linux box set up, no cd rom, no modem, need help

linux box set up, no cd rom, no modem, need help

Post by Black » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi, I currently have a windows 98 machine, and a pent 90 with DOS. I was
wondering if it was possible to install linux on the DOS computer through a
network. Does the network have to be set up first? The hub and all the other
stuff are set up, but stuff like samba are not in place since linux isnt
installed yet.

My question : How do I install linux on a pentium 90 computer which has no
modem, and no cd-rom, it only has a network card. Please help me.

Orrin Jolly

Post by Jon Ske » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Hi, I currently have a windows 98 machine, and a pent 90 with DOS. I was
> wondering if it was possible to install linux on the DOS computer through a
> network. Does the network have to be set up first? The hub and all the other
> stuff are set up, but stuff like samba are not in place since linux isnt
> installed yet.

> My question : How do I install linux on a pentium 90 computer which has no
> modem, and no cd-rom, it only has a network card. Please help me.

Yes, you can set up a RedHat system (and probably many others too) using
on the network. You'll need to create a couple of boot disks in the
normal way (using a machine which *does* have a CD-Rom) and mount the CD
for NFS use - then install via NFS. It *may* even be possible to install
over the Internet from redhat.com, but I wouldn't advise it...

--

http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/

linux box set up, no cd rom, no modem, need help

Post by Gary W. Sandvi » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

You will need to create a boot disk with network support. If you have a scsi
based system then you might try scsi.i. If an IDE based system then use
net.i. The color.gz is a generic rootdisk choice.

Once you have booted the kernel and did your disk partition work then select
setup and do a NFS install. Oh! You might want to be sure to setup NFS
shares on the networked Win/9X system. The easiest I've found is using the
OMNI-4 NFS server software. You can download this from shareware.com, do a
search at shareware.com for NFS then select the OMNI-NFS server software. It
is Shareware and a really nice interface, simple to setup.

Once you have the NFS shares, the install is straight forward and the speed
is dependent on your network. I've done several installs this way without a
hitch.
--
Regards and God Speed,

Gary

Gary W. Sandvik

309-676-0224 (fax)

Quote:> Hi, I currently have a windows 98 machine, and a pent 90 with DOS. I was
> wondering if it was possible to install linux on the DOS computer through
> network. Does the network have to be set up first? The hub and all the
other
> stuff are set up, but stuff like samba are not in place since linux isnt
> installed yet.

> My question : How do I install linux on a pentium 90 computer which has no
> modem, and no cd-rom, it only has a network card. Please help me.

> Orrin Jolly

linux box set up, no cd rom, no modem, need help

Post by Black » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

THank you very much for your help, these newsgroups have helped me very
much, and maybe one day I will be able to answer questions like you pro's

Orrin Jolly

> Hi,

> You will need to create a boot disk with network support. If you have a
scsi
> based system then you might try scsi.i. If an IDE based system then use
> net.i. The color.gz is a generic rootdisk choice.

> Once you have booted the kernel and did your disk partition work then
select
> setup and do a NFS install. Oh! You might want to be sure to setup NFS
> shares on the networked Win/9X system. The easiest I've found is using the
> OMNI-4 NFS server software. You can download this from shareware.com, do a
> search at shareware.com for NFS then select the OMNI-NFS server software.
It
> is Shareware and a really nice interface, simple to setup.

> Once you have the NFS shares, the install is straight forward and the
speed
> is dependent on your network. I've done several installs this way without
> hitch.
> --
> Regards and God Speed,

> Gary

> Gary W. Sandvik

> 309-676-0224 (fax)

> > Hi, I currently have a windows 98 machine, and a pent 90 with DOS. I was
> > wondering if it was possible to install linux on the DOS computer
through
> > network. Does the network have to be set up first? The hub and all the
> other
> > stuff are set up, but stuff like samba are not in place since linux isnt
> > installed yet.

> > My question : How do I install linux on a pentium 90 computer which has
no
> > modem, and no cd-rom, it only has a network card. Please help me.

> > Orrin Jolly

linux box set up, no cd rom, no modem, need help

Post by Kenny A. Chaff » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

says...

Quote:> Hi, I currently have a windows 98 machine, and a pent 90 with DOS. I was
> wondering if it was possible to install linux on the DOS computer through a
> network. Does the network have to be set up first? The hub and all the other
> stuff are set up, but stuff like samba are not in place since linux isnt
> installed yet.

> My question : How do I install linux on a pentium 90 computer which has no
> modem, and no cd-rom, it only has a network card. Please help me.

> Orrin Jolly

get a cheap cd-rom.
or borrow it out of another machine for the install....

--
KAC Website Design
Custom Programming, Web Design, and Graphics

Post by Leonard Even » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> says...
> > Hi, I currently have a windows 98 machine, and a pent 90 with DOS. I was
> > wondering if it was possible to install linux on the DOS computer through a
> > network. Does the network have to be set up first? The hub and all the other
> > stuff are set up, but stuff like samba are not in place since linux isnt
> > installed yet.

> > My question : How do I install linux on a pentium 90 computer which has no
> > modem, and no cd-rom, it only has a network card. Please help me.

> > Orrin Jolly

> get a cheap cd-rom.
> or borrow it out of another machine for the install....

> --
> KAC Website Design
> Custom Programming, Web Design, and Graphics

If you have a fast internet connection, you can install it all
as an ftp install.  If you choose RedHat you will have to use
the boot disk for network installation, called something like
bootnet.img.   You can find this and instructions for copying
it to a floppy at the RedHat web site.  But you would be
better off using a mirror site for the actual ftp install.

linux box set up, no cd rom, no modem, need help

Post by Eric Y. Cha » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I believe that most of the responses that you will get to
this query will say that you can install most of the
distributions over the network.  What they will neglect
(or incorrectly assume) is that there is a Linux machine
in the network with a CDROM drive.  If you do not have one,
or, if your network is currently not set up, you will have
a tough time.  I have a machine in my network named "installer".
If you have one of these, you will be in good shape.

: Hi, I currently have a windows 98 machine, and a pent 90 with DOS. I was
: wondering if it was possible to install linux on the DOS computer through a
: network. Does the network have to be set up first? The hub and all the other
: stuff are set up, but stuff like samba are not in place since linux isnt
: installed yet.

: My question : How do I install linux on a pentium 90 computer which has no
: modem, and no cd-rom, it only has a network card. Please help me.

: Orrin Jolly

linux box set up, no cd rom, no modem, need help

Post by Jayan » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00

if you can get an ftp server set up on the 98 machine and have
it's IP address, and a Redhat boot disk with the ftp-install
option, and a supported network card, you can do an install
by ftp.. choose the ftp-install option and give the ip-address
and root directory for the linux image on your 98 machine
(probably a CD).

The ftp server must be able to read the 'long file name information'
on the CD, AFAIK.
I have done this with the RH CD mounted on a linux machine on the
network, but win98 scares me..

Jayan

> Hi, I currently have a windows 98 machine, and a pent 90 with DOS. I was
> wondering if it was possible to install linux on the DOS computer through a
> network. Does the network have to be set up first? The hub and all the other
> stuff are set up, but stuff like samba are not in place since linux isnt
> installed yet.

> My question : How do I install linux on a pentium 90 computer which has no
> modem, and no cd-rom, it only has a network card. Please help me.

> Orrin Jolly

linux box set up, no cd rom, no modem, need help

Post by Kenny McCorma » Sat, 02 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>if you can get an ftp server set up on the 98 machine and have
>it's IP address, and a Redhat boot disk with the ftp-install
>option, and a supported network card, you can do an install
>by ftp.. choose the ftp-install option and give the ip-address
>and root directory for the linux image on your 98 machine
>(probably a CD).

>The ftp server must be able to read the 'long file name information'
>on the CD, AFAIK.
>I have done this with the RH CD mounted on a linux machine on the
>network, but win98 scares me..

As another poster alluded to, the glitch here is that the WINDOW~1 machine
will probably not support the Rock Ridge encoded Linux distribution CD.

Since the Redmond monster is not likely to budge on this, the best long term
solution may well be for Linux CD makers to start using Joliet.  In the
short term, you probably will have to run Linux on the FTP server.
Fortunately, this is not difficult, using something like Tom's Root/Boot.

Anyway, that's how I did my last "install to a machine w/o a CD drive".  I
booted Tom'sRTBT on a spare Win98 machine, put the CD in the drive and,
Presto!, you've got an FTP server that handles Rock Ridge.

linux box set up, no cd rom, no modem, need help

Post by Jayan » Sat, 02 Oct 1999 04:00:00

cool..
why didn't I think of that?
tom's root rulz

Jayan

> >if you can get an ftp server set up on the 98 machine and have
> >it's IP address, and a Redhat boot disk with the ftp-install
> >option, and a supported network card, you can do an install
> >by ftp.. choose the ftp-install option and give the ip-address
> >and root directory for the linux image on your 98 machine
> >(probably a CD).

> >The ftp server must be able to read the 'long file name information'
> >on the CD, AFAIK.
> >I have done this with the RH CD mounted on a linux machine on the
> >network, but win98 scares me..

> As another poster alluded to, the glitch here is that the WINDOW~1 machine
> will probably not support the Rock Ridge encoded Linux distribution CD.

> Since the Redmond monster is not likely to budge on this, the best long term
> solution may well be for Linux CD makers to start using Joliet.  In the
> short term, you probably will have to run Linux on the FTP server.
> Fortunately, this is not difficult, using something like Tom's Root/Boot.

> Anyway, that's how I did my last "install to a machine w/o a CD drive".  I
> booted Tom'sRTBT on a spare Win98 machine, put the CD in the drive and,
> Presto!, you've got an FTP server that handles Rock Ridge.

Some people are born foolish,
        some achieve foolishness.
and to some others,
        foolishness is thrust upon them!
                -anonymous NT user.

1. CD-RW: CDFS? Unstable dev nos?

I've built a kernel with SCSI emulation in order to support an ATAPI CD-RW
drive.... I still have an old 4X CDROM in too, as the "master", with the
CD-RW "slave".  Note I'm using Mandrake 7.1, with kernel 2.2.15.  Two
issues arise:

1)  The file system, CDFS, which Windows et al use for rewriting data
(floppy-like) onto a CDROM doesn't seem to be there.  Is this being added
at any known time?  (No, I don't have the skills to write the driver
myself.  Sorry.)  I'm a little surprised because Linux has so many file
systems already...

2)  The device name isn't steady.  I think the CDRW was /dev/scd3 when I
was "root" but then scd0 when I logged in again under my regular username!
Is there supposed to be some fixed formula by which emulated SCSI numbers
are assigned?  Or is this a bug?

Many thanks.
--
Fred R. Goldstein   k1io   fgoldstein"at" wn.net
These are my own opinions. You expect anyone else to agree?

2. soundcard problem

3. Infor needed: NOS

4. once again about mpathd

5. Linux box set up without modem or cd rom, only ethernet

6. how to get line number of specific string in the file

7. Help: What is best NOS/platform for Oracle?

8. a IPTABLES question

9. Not Available these Signal nos on Linux

10. faster NOS: NetWare or Linux?

11. NOS/NET/Wampes for linux

12. linux NOS

13. Does Linux IPIP tunnelling work with Cisco NOS tunnels?