slack and ppp problem

Post by Sid Lipk » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00

hello   just installed slackware 3.0 linux by ftp and am having quite a hard time connecting
tomy isp/was wondering if anybody out there who knows linux's insane config for ppp
 could help me out...  heres the shell script im trying to use
it connects then just dies in about 2 seconds(i get a screen full of garbage
and pppd never detachs)

#!/bin/bash

PHONE="462-1636"
LOGIN="lip"
PASSWD=""
PORT="/dev/cua3"

if [ "$PASSWD"=""
  then
  stty -echo
  echo -e "enter password"
  read PASSWD
  stty echo
fi
export PASSWD

pppd connect 'chat "" ATDT '$PHONE' ogin:  '$LOGIN' word: '$PASSWD
$PORT mtu 1500 debug lock modem crtscts defaultroute

heres my rc.inet1 file

HOSTNAME=`cat /etc/HOSTNAME`

# Attach the loopback device.
/sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
/sbin/route add -net 127.0.0.0

IPADDR="198.70.177.122"
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
NETWORK="198.70.177.0"
BROADCAST="198.70.177.255"<----    (what is this address?)?????

#GATEWAY="198.70.177.253"

# /sbin/ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} broadcast ${BROADCAST} netmask ${NETMASK}
# /sbin/ifconfig  eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK}

/sbin/route add -net ${NETWORK} netmask ${NETMASK}
/sbin/route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

# End of rc.inet1

all my nameservers are defined corretly

if anybody can help me out or point me in the right direction id appreciate it

thanks  sid lipkin

slack and ppp problem

Post by Alan V. Shackelfo » Fri, 24 May 1996 04:00:00

[...]

Don't mean to sound ugly, but this is way too complicated to ever work well.
I use the following script to start a ppp session:

/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/cua0 38400 connect 'chat -f clarknet.chat' crtscts\
defaultroute

clarknet.chat is a short chat script:

"" ^M~ATZ^M~\r\p "" ATX0&K3\r\p "" ATDT9950271 name:-BREAK-name: alan_s\
sword: nunyabiznis 8):-BREAK-8): 4

This works great, without all the environment variables, etc.

: heres my rc.inet1 file
(snip)

:
: #GATEWAY="198.70.177.253"

This will not work. Do not specify a gateway for ppp access. Just be sure
the nameservers are OK, and you will find your way around.
--
One net to rule them all, one net to find them, one net to bring them all

1. New PPP problems (SLACK 96)

Hi all
I'm trying make the PPP work to my ISP.
I.m reading HowTo PPP.
In the test by software Minicom I get the work line to my ISP..
But, when I trying call "ppp-on &" nothing happend.
And, when I trying cal "pppd connect 'chat -v (-f) '
""ATDPXXXXXXX""\/dev/cua2 appears
message error with -v or -f arguments.

Any idea

Thanks in advace

Ade

2. Linux/PPC with Sonnet G4/800, anyone yet?

3. hopefully simple ppp dns or routing problem on Slack 9.1

4. Matrox G200 now works with XFree86

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. Eliminating Autoindex

7. Slack 1.1.1 or Slack 1.1.0

8. Screen wrap around

9. ppp Rx errors, Slack 3.2

10. PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and HEADACHE

11. Slack 3.0.0 Boot Problem with AHA1522

12. Slack 3.3 install problem?

13. Slack 0.99.15: Problems getting started (probably easy)