Midnight Commander and colour

Post by Michael Laros » Wed, 10 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I recently went from Slackware 2.2.0 to 3.  The mc program does not use
colour like it did under 2.x  I did not try to upgrade from 2.2.0 to 3.0
I fdisked and started from scratch.  I have learned from pkgtool that mc
needs ncurses and terminfo database in order to use colour.  I have both
of these installed.

        I have managed to solve many a problem with Linux by RTFM, however
methinks I am up against a wall with this one.  I humbly ask for help
with this minor, yet annoying problem.  Any help real or imagined would
be greatly appreciated.

        Thanks
        Mike

Post by Stephen P. Moln » Thu, 11 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>I recently went from Slackware 2.2.0 to 3.  The mc program does not use
>colour like it did under 2.x  I did not try to upgrade from 2.2.0 to 3.0
>I fdisked and started from scratch.  I have learned from pkgtool that mc
>needs ncurses and terminfo database in order to use colour.  I have both
>of these installed.

>    I have managed to solve many a problem with Linux by RTFM, however
>methinks I am up against a wall with this one.  I humbly ask for help
>with this minor, yet annoying problem.  Any help real or imagined would
>be greatly appreciated.

>    Thanks
>    Mike

Had the same problem.  I was told that the mc in Slackware 3.0 was
broken.  Downloaded and compiled and the problem was solved.

Midnight Commander and colour

Post by Miguel de Ica » Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I recently went from Slackware 2.2.0 to 3.  The mc program does not use
> colour like it did under 2.x  I did not try to upgrade from 2.2.0 to 3.0
> I fdisked and started from scratch.  I have learned from pkgtool that mc
> needs ncurses and terminfo database in order to use colour.  I have both
> of these installed.

This I think is related to some termcap/terminfo problems as
distributed by Slackware 3.0.  Please, grab the latest version of the
Midnight Commander from ftp://ftp.nuclecu.unam.mx/linux/local, besides
fixing that problem, it has tons of new features (check the web page,
it's on my .signature).

Miguel
--

The GNU Midnight Commander: http://stekt.oulu.fi/~jtklehto/mc
Linux/SPARC project:        http://www.geog.ubc.ca/sparclinux.html

Midnight Commander and colour

Post by Dave Beem » Sat, 13 Apr 1996 04:00:00

This is a fantastic utility, but I couldn't find a sample .mc.ini file in
the distribution.  Could someone post one that sets some nice colors for
D Midnight Commander?

Midnight Commander and colour

Post by Simone » Wed, 17 Apr 1996 04:00:00

begin 644 terminfo.tgz

`
end

Midnight Commander and colour

Post by Simone » Wed, 17 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>This I think is related to some termcap/terminfo problems as
>distributed by Slackware 3.0.  Please, grab the latest version of the
>Midnight Commander from ftp://ftp.nuclecu.unam.mx/linux/local, besides
>fixing that problem, it has tons of new features (check the web page,
>it's on my .signature).

I car run MC in color mode, with linux slakware 3.0

Decompress this archivie, in /usr/lib/tercamp dir
with tar zxvf terminfo.tgz

Post by Cliff Prat » Fri, 19 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>I recently went from Slackware 2.2.0 to 3.  The mc program does not use
>colour like it did under 2.x  I did not try to upgrade from 2.2.0 to 3.0
>I fdisked and started from scratch.  I have learned from pkgtool that mc
>needs ncurses and terminfo database in order to use colour.  I have both
>of these installed.

>    I have managed to solve many a problem with Linux by RTFM, however
>methinks I am up against a wall with this one.  I humbly ask for help
>with this minor, yet annoying problem.  Any help real or imagined would
>be greatly appreciated.

I also had this problem and solved it by getting the latest source and
compiling >with slang< slang appears to be a replacement console handler
for linux.

Hope this helps...