hd params, >1024 cyl, boot disk problem

Post by G » Mon, 15 May 1995 04:00:00

        I've recently install LINUX on a Packard Bell 486/dx2-66.  I have 8megs, Cirrus 5428 chipset, SB16/Panasonic CR-563 CD, 1 Gig Seagate ST31020 HD.

        Having installed it and reading through tons of Info-FAQ-HOW_TO's, I've gotten to this point:

        I tried the bare and sbpcd bootdisk, and the color144 and umsdos rootdisk.

        It's installed now, using the sbpcd(BD)-umsdos(RD) combo.  If I try to boot with Loadlinx or the bootdisk made after the install, I get major malfunctions when
it hits the Gig drive,

                        "VFS: unable to mount root"

        /dev/hda2 is my dos/linux partition, and /dev/hda5 is the D: drive on the extended partition.  I can use the sbpcd bootdisk and give it:

                boot: mount hd=2099,16,63

        it boots into linux, but still throws a fit, so I use

                boot: mount root=/dev/hda2 hd=2099,16,63

        and it goes in, but several places say that theres a problem, "hda2 not recognized", "unable to continue", but then I get the "Login:" prompt and am able
to get into the system. I set up /dev/hda5 as /dosd on the linux install, and am able to get into it.  There is also a /DOS that is the (DOS) root of drive C:.

        I've read and hunted, and I understand that from the docs (install) that umsdos is not that well supported (even as far as LINUX itself is unique), but there
has to be a way for me to use a boot floppy that has the  "hd=2099,16,63" parameter included so that it can boot fine.

        I hope that's enough system info to go on, this is the only problem that I have now, the boot sequence, once I get in all is well and fine.  I just started with
LINUX 5 days ago and have spent most of it reading everything on the net.  Any assistance in this this is greatly appreciated.

        BTW:    THIS IS THE MOST INCREDIBLE FREEWARE SOFTWARE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!  GREAT JOB GUYS!!!

        Glenn the confused  (as all newbies are :)

1. hd params, >1024 cyl, boot problems

Subject: boot sequence / hd params
Date: Sat, 13 May 95 23:30:01 GMT

[...]

2. Iptables - what the hell am I doing wrong ?

3. Linux install problems > 1024 cyl hd...

4. Make command returns: "No rule to make target 'Foobar'"

5. x86 problem with > 1024 cyl disks?

6. X on inspiron 5000 laptop

7. >1024 cyl, v1.1.18, boot problems

8. NFS and SETGID bit ignored

9. Installing lilo on a >1024 cyl SCSI HD?

10. Help with HD >1024 Cyls

11. HD w/ > 1024 Cyl.

12. HD > 1024 cyls. Any HOWTOs???

13. ide hd >1024 cyls