Opinions on Applixware

Post by Jim Heffne » Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I've installed Staroffice 5.0, but the maddening registration process,
along with the incredible slowness of the software, have motivated me to
look at alternatives. If anyone who has used Applix (or even both),
could offer their honest opinion, I'd be interested in hearing what you
have to say.

Thanks.

Jim

Opinions on Applixware

Post by Peter Cedermar » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I use ApplixWare 4.1 at school and it works great. It uses a different approach,
i.e. doesn't offer an integrated desktop (which I like). The programs in the
suite are very capable and should satisfy your needs. They are on a par with the
programs in the StarOffice suite.

What I don't know is if there is a capability to import documents from Microsnot
Office, but that information is probably available at the company's website.

That's my (very brief) opinion...

> I've installed Staroffice 5.0, but the maddening registration process,
> along with the incredible slowness of the software, have motivated me to
> look at alternatives. If anyone who has used Applix (or even both),
> could offer their honest opinion, I'd be interested in hearing what you
> have to say.

> Thanks.

> Jim

Opinions on Applixware

Post by Jim Heffne » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

This sounds promising. Overall, how is the performance? SO 5.0 has a
tendency to CRAWL, depending on what you're doing...even with 96MB RAM installed.

Thanks.

Jim

> I use ApplixWare 4.1 at school and it works great. It uses a different approach,
> i.e. doesn't offer an integrated desktop (which I like). The programs in the
> suite are very capable and should satisfy your needs. They are on a par with the
> programs in the StarOffice suite.

> What I don't know is if there is a capability to import documents from Microsnot
> Office, but that information is probably available at the company's website.

> That's my (very brief) opinion...

> > I've installed Staroffice 5.0, but the maddening registration process,
> > along with the incredible slowness of the software, have motivated me to
> > look at alternatives. If anyone who has used Applix (or even both),
> > could offer their honest opinion, I'd be interested in hearing what you
> > have to say.

> > Thanks.

> > Jim

Opinions on Applixware

Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:14:00 +0100

I use ApplixWare 4.1 at school and it works great. It uses a different
approach,
i.e. doesn't offer an integrated desktop (which I like). The programs in the
suite are very capable and should satisfy your needs. They are on a par with
the
programs in the StarOffice suite.

What I don't know is if there is a capability to import documents from
Microsnot
Office, but that information is probably available at the company's website.

That's my (very brief) opinion...

> I've installed Staroffice 5.0, but the maddening registration process,
> along with the incredible slowness of the software, have motivated me to
> look at alternatives. If anyone who has used Applix (or even both),
> could offer their honest opinion, I'd be interested in hearing what you
> have to say.

> Thanks.

> Jim

 __

| Fidonet:  Peter Cedermark 1:143/1001
|
| A service of the San Jose IBM PC Club, running OS/2 Warp

Opinions on Applixware

Post by Peter Cedermar » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

ApplixWare is considerably faster than StarOffice, which takes 30-40 seconds to
start on my P2 300 MHz. Once it's up and running, though, the speed is okay.

> This sounds promising. Overall, how is the performance? SO 5.0 has a
> tendency to CRAWL, depending on what you're doing...even with 96MB RAM installed.

> Thanks.

> Jim

> > I use ApplixWare 4.1 at school and it works great. It uses a different approach,
> > i.e. doesn't offer an integrated desktop (which I like). The programs in the
> > suite are very capable and should satisfy your needs. They are on a par with the
> > programs in the StarOffice suite.

> > What I don't know is if there is a capability to import documents from Microsnot
> > Office, but that information is probably available at the company's website.

> > That's my (very brief) opinion...

> > > I've installed Staroffice 5.0, but the maddening registration process,
> > > along with the incredible slowness of the software, have motivated me to
> > > look at alternatives. If anyone who has used Applix (or even both),
> > > could offer their honest opinion, I'd be interested in hearing what you
> > > have to say.

> > > Thanks.

> > > Jim

1. Opinions on ApplixWare

I would like to get a general concensus about how good (or bad) the ApplixWare
Office Suite is.  Currently, the only thing that truly keeps me tied to
Windows is MS Office.  Whether you love or hate Microsoft, their office suite
is pretty nice and reliable.  I know ApplixWare will read and work with
various formats (Word 2000, Excel 2000, etc) but does it "butcher" the
documents?  Is it truly WYSIWYG or does the formatting end up looking like a
font factory reject.  Is it worth the price or is it about the same as
OpenOffice.  I'm not impressed at all with either Star Office or OpenOffice.
Any and all opinions are appreciated.
TIA
--

Zach
"Coming to you live from SuSE Linux"

2. I want to buy a PC WITHOUT Windows installed....BUT I cant.

3. Opinions on ApplixWARE?

4. root@host:/usr/src/linux# make bzImage modules

5. Opinions about Applixware and Star Office

6. using IRC

7. Applixware for Red Hat opinions?

8. UTMP/WTMP Question

9. Need Opinions -- Word Perfect Vs ApplixWare vs MSWord/Win95

10. Red Hat Applixware ques.

11. Applixware 4.3?

12. Applixware for FreeBSD

13. ApplixWare 5.0 Pre-release