Taper Problem/RedHat 5.0

Post by Matti Paada » Fri, 23 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello!

I have spent about one week to find solution for getting the Taper
software to work. I have downloaded RedHat 5.0 from their ftp-site. It's
much better choice than buy the RedHat 5.0 distribution cd-rom, because a
lot of updates.

The problem is that I am unable to type anything into dialog boxes. In the
Taper-FAQ (section 2.6) tells that this is usually caused by an
incorrect ncurses setup. I think that ncurses are ok. I also installed the
latest Taper version 6.8.3. Same thing.

Matti Paadar

Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Oulu
Linnanmaa
FIN-90570 OULU, FINLAND

Taper Problem/RedHat 5.0

Post by T.E.Dicke » Fri, 23 Jan 1998 04:00:00

:>I have spent about one week to find solution for getting the Taper
:>software to work. I have downloaded RedHat 5.0 from their ftp-site. It's

:>The problem is that I am unable to type anything into dialog boxes. In the

: This is the same experience of a number of folks on the RH mailing
: list.  Seems to be aproblem related to compiling it under glibc.  For
: now I'm using the libc rpm ver. 6.8.2 from the old contrib dir.  Works
: fine.
maybe - but which version of ncurses?  (Redhat installs 1.9.9e, which
doesn't work for menus & forms, which I understand Taper uses -- so the
author advises using ncurses 4.1).

(most of the activity on the RH mailing list seems to be a couple of people
who don't understand that shared libraries have different versions, and
are trying to symlink the 1.9.9e applications to the 4.1 library)

--
Thomas E.*ey

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Taper Problem/RedHat 5.0

Post by Matti Paada » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>:>I have spent about one week to find solution for getting the Taper
>:>software to work. I have downloaded RedHat 5.0 from their ftp-site. It's

>:>The problem is that I am unable to type anything into dialog boxes. In
the

>: This is the same experience of a number of folks on the RH mailing
>: list.  Seems to be aproblem related to compiling it under glibc.  For
>: now I'm using the libc rpm ver. 6.8.2 from the old contrib dir.  Works
>: fine.
>maybe - but which version of ncurses?  (Redhat installs 1.9.9e, which
>doesn't work for menus & forms, which I understand Taper uses -- so the
>author advises using ncurses 4.1).

>(most of the activity on the RH mailing list seems to be a couple of people
>who don't understand that shared libraries have different versions, and
>are trying to symlink the 1.9.9e applications to the 4.1 library)

I agree. There is problem with ncurses 1.9.9e. I removed them
and installed the latest ncurses 4.1 with patches and now Taper
works fine (YOU MUST APPLY PATCHES!!!). I had to create some symlinks too.
For example

libncurses.so.3 -> libncurses.so.4.1
libncurses.so.3.0 -> libncurses.so.4.1

I don't know that's right way to do, but it works.

I am still bothered why RedHat 5.0 uses broken ncurses?

And I compiled the latest Taper 6.8.3. It works.

Matti Paadar

Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Oulu
Linnanmaa
FIN-90570 OULU, FINLAND

1. RedHat 5.0 and Real Player 5.0 for Linux

I am having real trouble with Real Player! When I click on a link for a
Real Audio or Real Video file in Netscape, the player comes up and
receives data. But it only skips through it and makes an occasional
"gurgle" of audio or blip of video. I have plenty of speed and 128 megs
of RAM, plus a very good sound card. Other audio apps sound great. Any
ideas out there on the cause of this?

2. Upgrading to XFree 3.9.17 (for a geforce card)

3. Redhat 5.0 X mouse problem, cdrom problem... hey I'm new to these...

4. What's with all the CPU usage?

5. taper-6.9b-3 and RedHat 7.0...

6. Intel Pro 2100 DSL Modem

7. upgrade from Redhat Linux 5.0 to redhat linux 5.1

8. Netscape reading time wrong

9. RedHat 5.0 to RedHat 5.1

10. Linux(Redhat 5.0, Redhat 4.2, Slackware) failing to recognize hard drive.

11. Redhat CDE and Redhat 5.0

12. Redhat 5.0 --> Redhat 5.1

13. upgrade from Redhat 5.0 to Redhat 5.1