Anyone running Informix 4GL/SE on Linux or FreeBSD?

Anyone running Informix 4GL/SE on Linux or FreeBSD?

Post by Nate Willia » Thu, 07 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Does anyone have experience running Informix on Linux or FreeBSD?
>I'm particularly interested in the 4GL and Standard Engine products,
>but would like to hear about Informix products which may be in use.

I've run Informix/SE in SCO emulation mode on my FreeBSD box, but all
the binaries I'm using were developed/compiled under SCO since none of
the free unices allow you to link against SCO libraries.  (That's a
*tough* problem)

Nate

--

work #: (406) 449-7662 | Montana.
home #: (406) 443-7063 | A fly pole and a 4x4 Chevy truck = Heaven on Earth

Anyone running Informix 4GL/SE on Linux or FreeBSD?

Post by Peter Brueckn » Sat, 16 Mar 1996 04:00:00

We develop on linux-boxes since about 2 years. One of our first problems
was the development of INFORMIX-4GL/ESQLC programs. So we installed
the iBCS2 System on Linux (with little help from us to developers of IBCS2).

After that (and the installing of the free-shared-lib-replacements)
 we can run SCO-Binaries (like dbaccess/sqlexec/sqlturbo).

Than we installed the complete SCO-GNU-System (gcc/gas/gld/glibc)
on our System (in /usr/i486-sco/bin ../lib ../include) - this system
was build on the SCO-system - and everything works.

Later (when GCC changes) we have generated an cross-development-system
'configure --prefix=/usr --host=i486-linux --target=i486-sco' for
gcc/gas/gld. It also works great and much faster than on SCO.

Actual we only use some special files from our (old and not longer used !!)
SCO-System. Not only INFORMIX-dependent programs can be generated, also
ORACLE/YARD (a German Database) and all other things are running on Linux-
Systems.

--
Peter Brueckner, Brueckner&Jarosch Ing.-GmbH Erfurt, Germany 99084 Erfurt

1. Anyone running Informix 4GL/SE on Linux or FreeBSD?

Subject: Re: Anyone running Informix 4GL/SE on Linux or FreeBSD?
Date: 11 Mar 1996 18:22:54 GMT

Fair enough, but then you are basically creating a complete SCO
development setup on a FreeBSD box, which requires that you have a SCO
developement license in order to get all of the necessary libraries and
include files.  It's *much* easier just to install SCO on a separate
partition to do the development.

Plus all of the necessary include files and such.

Nate

--

Operations

of
work #: (406) 449-7662 | Montana.
home #: (406) 443-7063 | A fly pole and a 4x4 Chevy truck = Heaven on
Earth

2. restart klauncher

3. Informix-SE (Linux version) on FreeBSD

4. Hot Swap Drives

5. informix databases (dbaaccess)(Informix-SE)

6. wvdial - modem disconnect possibility

7. Will Informix SQL and SE version 4.10 for SCO run on OpenServer 5.0.5?

8. LMbench results for 2.5.40

9. Informix 4Gl under linux link errors

10. Informix-4gl (SCO-Port) on Linux

11. Informix SQL (SCO) Has anyone gotten it to run on linux?

12. Informix-4GL, C, Unix and shell script programmers

13. Color-Problem with Informix-4GL 4.16.UC2