dhcp client not working

Post by Jeff Davi » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 13:26:26

I have set up dhcp on the network I am on right now and it "just worked".
However, my collegue is starting to set up some linux boxes at his office
and I, embarrassingly, cannot get it to go on the interenet.

I am running debian and so is he, both on intel hardware and both with
netgear cards. I am sure that the network card in his machine is working
(if appears properly in ifconfig). The main difference is that I am on a
big network and really don't know what kind of dhcp server is running. My
collegue is on a smaller network with a D-Link hub, a D-Link Firewall, and
a Motorolla Cable Modem. He suspects that the DHCP server might actually
be at his provider (Cox cable), but I was initially thinking it was either
the firewall or the cable modem.

When I run "dhclient" (the one I use) or "pump" from his machine it does
not return to the shell (it just sits there) until you Ctrl-C the process.

The windows boxes on his network work fine by just setting the networks
settings so that it obtains an ip address automatically.

Does someone have an idea about why my collegue's linux box can't get on
the internet, while his windows boxes can?

Thanks very much,
        Jeff Davis

dhcp client not working

Post by LocO » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 15:25:21

Comments inline

> I have set up dhcp on the network I am on right now and it "just
> worked". However, my collegue is starting to set up some linux boxes at
> his office and I, embarrassingly, cannot get it to go on the interenet.

> I am running debian and so is he, both on intel hardware and both with
> netgear cards. I am sure that the network card in his machine is working
> (if appears properly in ifconfig). The main difference is that I am on a
> big network and really don't know what kind of dhcp server is running.
> My collegue is on a smaller network with a D-Link hub, a D-Link
> Firewall, and a Motorolla Cable Modem. He suspects that the DHCP server
> might actually be at his provider (Cox cable), but I was initially
> thinking it was either the firewall or the cable modem.

I can't talk to the problem your dhcp client is having a problem. I can
however talk to the cable modem problems. I work for an interoperability
lab that exclusively tests the interoperability of multiple cable modems
(CM) from multiple vendors against multiple headends (CMTS).

Now, there are two points I'd like to make.
1. There is definitely a DHCP server
behind the CMTS headend which your friends CM get's multiple dhcp
addresses from. I hope by D-Link hub you mean a D-Link router, and if it
is, then it is the router that is giving out the dhcp addresses, not the
MSO (Cox cable).
2. If the "D-Link hub" is only a hub, then there is something completely
different going on. The hub is most likely connected to the CM by a
Crossover cable, and each computer hooked up to the hub is going to the
MSO for dhcp. If this is the case, then your friend has multiple IP
addresses reserved at the MSO and each machine is pulling from that
address reserve. So, again, if that is the case, does he have enough
addresses reserved for all his computers?

I would probably guess on item 1 being your setup. And in this case, the
D-Link router is going to the MSO, getting your internet address. It then
acts as a dhcp server/nat server to allow all your computers behind the
router to have internet access... One way to check would be the address's
the windows machines are getting. They are probably getting addresses of
the following forms: 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x. If that is the case, then
this is the setup your running, and it is a problem between your linux
box and the D-Link router. I would make sure it is set up correctly, make
sure the address pool it's internal dhcp server is handing out is large
enough to accomidate all the machines behind it.

Anyway. I'll shut up now before I bore you to death. I hope this helps.

LocO

Quote:> When I run "dhclient" (the one I use) or "pump" from his machine it does
> not return to the shell (it just sits there) until you Ctrl-C the
> process.

> The windows boxes on his network work fine by just setting the networks
> settings so that it obtains an ip address automatically.

> Does someone have an idea about why my collegue's linux box can't get on
> the internet, while his windows boxes can?

> Thanks very much,
>         Jeff Davis

dhcp client not working

Post by Crabby Appleto » Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:59:00

On Thu, 06 Dec 2001 20:26:26 -0800

> My
> collegue is on a smaller network with a D-Link hub, a D-Link Firewall,
> and
> a Motorolla Cable Modem. He suspects that the DHCP server might actually
> be at his provider (Cox cable), but I was initially thinking it was
> either
> the firewall or the cable modem.

The D-Link firewall should be providing DHCP services as well as NAT
(address translation) to the internal network. Using a Web browser on a PC
that is working, hit 192.168.1.1 and look at the configuration to make
sure it hasn't been screwed up.

If your friend obtained the firewall from his cable Internet company, it's
possible that the cable company configured it to forbid any additional
hookups. (Yes, they really can do that, and it's yet another a good reason
NOT TO LET THEM HAVE ANYTHING TO DO with equipment inside your house.)

1. ** SuSE 8.1 DHCP client not working!

Dear All,

I have installed SuSE 8.1 on my SMP machine and its DHCP client can't get IP
address from our DHCP server. RedHat 8.0 can do the job, though. I didn't
encounter this problem with older SuSE.
Any comments or directions are more than welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Morris

2. call back previous commands under CSH with SUN OS

3. dhcp client not work how expected on my Suse linux 8.1

4. Cleaning out Apache's bellybutton...

5. ** SuSE 8.1 DHCP client not working!

6. Update for UPS debugger (SunOS, Linux/a.out) available

7. S3 Trio64 configuration problems

8. DHCP client not working

9. DHCP Client not working with ADSL and Bellsouth.net

10. Dynamic DNS not working with Solaris DHCP/DNS server and win clients