full filesystems not reported by syslog

Post by smi.. » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Under solaris when a filesystem hits 100% an
error is recored by syslog (messages log).

I am now run a number of redhat 6.0 linux servers and during test
I was unable to get the filesystem to send and error to
syslog when it is full.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by David Mean » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Under solaris when a filesystem hits 100% an
> error is recored by syslog (messages log).

> I am now run a number of redhat 6.0 linux servers and during test
> I was unable to get the filesystem to send and error to
> syslog when it is full.

  Umm, I haven't looked at the source, but if the filesystem is full,
where do you think the message is going to be stored ?  Of course,
the syslog daemon *could* check whether it is logging locally or
remotely, and send a message iff it is logging remotely, but this does
not sound like the way to bet.

1. Tuning syslog/Syslog reporting/Syslog enhancement/replacements

Hello,

        I have been investigating using syslog's logging facilities. I have
currently set up our network to log to a central logging host. In my
preliminary attempts, I have set up syslog to dump everything to a single file,
which gets messy. I've sorted out the files now, and I have noticed that
certain applications such as telnetd and ftpd write to the LOG_MAIL facility.
Is there
a way to alter the logging facility that they report to, or will I have to have
modified binaries to handle this? I'm mostly concerned with our AIX machines
but we also have HPUX, Sunos/Solaris, and OSF. I could very well have it dump
all
information and sort out the data based on rules I develop using
sed/awk/perl/grep (whatever), But it would be nicer if it were done by
syslog/programs writing to syslog.

        Also, is anyone familiar with any other logging utilities? I would be grateful
for some help/advice or some pointers to where to find this information.

Thanks for your help.

Adam

2. Using Linux as an xterminal.

3. filesystem full -> It's not full

4. ADSL - MS to set the standard?

5. df not reporting root filesystem usage (but is reporting mounted dos drives)

6. Problem logging in

7. Filesystem get full because of syslog grow / monthly

8. jon@amergin.ddns.org - Unknown I/O card

9. Filesystem always reported as 100% full

10. 'df' continues to report filesystem full after files deleted

11. Filesystem reports 100% full when it isn't

12. Syslog not reporting errors?

13. Proble: df reports disk full, but not true