FIPS lower Limit?

Post by Adam Ipnarsk » Tue, 16 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Help!
I was just about to install Linux yesterday, and about to partition my
C: drive with FIPS, when I found that I could not get the size of
partition that I needed - FIPS would consistently only give me free
space from Cluster 377 = approx. 289 Mb space.  This is not enough for
me - I was planning on 320.
        So, I went back into Win95 from the command prompt, and did a
lot of deleting, and have now got, according to Win95, 509Mb left on a
1Gb hard drive.  FIPS, however, still refuses to go lower than cluster
377.
        So, I went even further and set my swapfile size to four Mb.
This was fine, until my machine decided to stop booting into Win95, and
yet even then FIPS would not give me any more space for my new
partition.
        Is there some kind of limit I don't know about - I have read the
FIPS doc thoroughly, and haven't seen anything.  So, what is going on.

Just in case someone needs this info, I have a Gateway P120, 8Mb RAM
(about to become 24Mb), 1Gb WD Caviar Hard Disk and no disk compression,
with Win95's VFat filing system, and only 1 DOS partition.)

Thanks for any info on how I can get a partition larger than 289 Mb.
Adam Ipnarski

FIPS lower Limit?

Post by Byron A Je » Tue, 16 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Help!
>I was just about to install Linux yesterday, and about to partition my
>C: drive with FIPS, when I found that I could not get the size of
>partition that I needed - FIPS would consistently only give me free
>space from Cluster 377 = approx. 289 Mb space.  This is not enough for
>me - I was planning on 320.
>        So, I went back into Win95 from the command prompt, and did a
>lot of deleting, and have now got, according to Win95, 509Mb left on a
>1Gb hard drive.  FIPS, however, still refuses to go lower than cluster
>377.
>        So, I went even further and set my swapfile size to four Mb.
>This was fine, until my machine decided to stop booting into Win95, and
>yet even then FIPS would not give me any more space for my new
>partition.
>        Is there some kind of limit I don't know about - I have read the
>FIPS doc thoroughly, and haven't seen anything.  So, what is going on.

You have a allocated cluster at 377. Something that unmovable.

Do this. Run defrag in windows '95 (go ahead and put your swap back to
normal). Do a show details. Now page down the cluster map. Somewhere down
in the all white area you'll find some clusters marked unmovable. The
legend symbol is a white box with a red corner.

I had the hardest time with these the first time around. There is a DOS
(yes DOS) tool that can help. It's called SHOWFAT and you can find it on
the simtel archives in the diskutil area (something like showf251.zip).

Anyway what showfat will do (run in DOS mode, get out of win 95) is identify
allocated clusters and more importantly, tell you what files the clusters
are mapped too. These are always hidden, read-only, system files. Use attrib
to change the attributes, make a copy of the file, then put the attributes
back. delete the original and run defrag again.

FIPS will not allocate below the line where there are allocated clusters
in the preceeding partition. That's the limit.

Hope this helps,

BAJ
--
Another random extraction from the mental bit stream of...
Byron A. Jeff - PhD student operating in parallel - And Using Linux!

FIPS lower Limit?

Post by Theera Kittichareonp » Tue, 16 Jul 1996 04:00:00

[...]

        try defraging your hard disk and then run fips. fips won't move
your files around. if there's a file at cluster 377, it won't go lower.
and defrag won't move hidden files, so you might need to change attribute of
some files.