Caldera 1.3 vs Caldera 2.3

Post by mwf » Sun, 23 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> I was thinking of installing Caldera 1.3 on my system.  Is Caldera 2.3 a major
> upgrade worth considering or not?
> Also how difficult is the installation of Caldera1.3 for a double boot system?
> My system is a very generic pentium200 and I don't know much about Linux
> (actually I dont know anything about Linux).

It's a amjor upgrade. The biggest thing is that COL 1.3 is built on the 2.0.35
kernel and COL 2.3 is based on the 2.2.10 kernel. The 2.2.x kernel supports a
wider range of hardware, including PCI sound cards, USB and quite a bit more.
There are a whole lot of other improvements at various levels... too many to
list. COL 2.3 also has a much simpler, graphical installation routine -- a plus
for a first-time installation, and if you buy the commercial package, it comes
with a lot more additional software.

Now, there are people out there who'll use COL 1.3 and just upgrade the kernel,
but you don't want to do this if you have no experience with Linux. Go with COL
2.3. You'll be happier, and you'll be more likely to become a concert from that
other OS.

MF

Caldera 1.3 vs Caldera 2.3

Post by Peter T. Breu » Mon, 24 Apr 2000 04:00:00

: Now, there are people out there who'll use COL 1.3 and just upgrade the kernel,
: but you don't want to do this if you have no experience with Linux. Go with COL
: 2.3. You'll be happier, and you'll be more likely to become a concert from that
: other OS.

He has my symphony ;).

Peter

Caldera 1.3 vs Caldera 2.3

Post by Jerry McBri » Sun, 30 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>I was thinking of installing Caldera 1.3 on my system.  Is Caldera 2.3 a major
>upgrade worth considering or not?

Absolutely... 2.30 is a FAR better distro than 1.30... In fact, the just
released last month eDesktop 2.40 is even better than 2.30. You can grab a copy
of the "lite" version off the caldera ftp site... or ask me nicely and I'll
burn you a copy for $1.00 plus shipping...

Quote:>Also how difficult is the installation of Caldera1.3 for a double boot system?

It was failer easy for me. I used Boot Manager from my other operating system.
It all worked perfectly. Since that time has passed... I'm now running 2.40
and it's lightyears more "pleasing" than 1.30 ever hoped to be... :')

Quote:>My system is a very generic pentium200 and I don't know much about Linux
>(actually I dont know anything about Linux).

You're starting off with a better machine than I ahve right now... I'm running
a computer that I built from "left-overs" from various internet wholesalers...
I've got a Micronics hi54-10pm that sports a 166mhz Pentium and 128meg...

Surprisignly it's still a good performer with linux and only cost me a little
over $50.00 for the motherboard with memory and cpu... ;')

Dyslexics of the world, untie!

* NetRexx - The onramp to the Internet - http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/netrexx  *

1. Redhat vs Debian vs Yggdrasil vs Caldera vs ...

All,

  I've been considering the Linux alternative.  However what confuses
me is the HUGE numbers of various LINUX clones/competitors/whatever.
What would really be helpfull is some comments on just what exactly the
difference between the various LINUX distributions.  I'm not looking for
advocacy (even though this is an advocacy group) I'm looking for basic
facts about the versions and some suggestions.  I've tried looking
thru the various WWW sites, and the marketing gets in the way too much
for me as the newbie to make a decent decision.

  If it helps, I'm looking into LINUX to develop a WWW based database
application, that will be accessed thru a standard browser.

Many thanks,

Dave

2. Permission problem with named

3. Slackware vs. Caldera vs. Red Hat vs. ...

4. kernel_version error

5. Caldera Open Linux 1.3 Install Crash

6. Wierd streams/TLI behaviour in RS/6000 AIX

7. Trouble installing Caldera 1.3 open linux

8. Patch for Sendmail for Solaris 8 (x86)

9. DHCP client (dhcpcd) for Caldera 1.3?

10. Caldera OpenLinux 1.3-Boot from floppy

11. Mouse troubles with Caldera 1.3

12. Caldera 1.3 and Libc problems

13. Caldera OpenLinux 1.3