V.92 modem that does not require 'doze

Post by Seymour » Thu, 11 Jul 2002 23:59:34

My primary operating system is OS/2 and I have space reserved for some
Linux partitions. I do not have, and do not want, any version of
windoze. I'm thinking of buying a V.92 modem, and was dismayed to find
that some of them only have support for updating the flash memory
under 'doze.

Does anyone know of a reliable v/f/d V.92 modem that will work in OS/2
and Linux and that can be upgraded from DOS, OS/2 or Linux (any one of
the three is fine.)?

Note: I've rejected 3com/usr because they spam, and MultiTech because
they only support reflashing under 'doze. Multitech would otherwise
have been the leading contender.

     Atid/2, Team OS/2, Team PL/I

Any unsolicited commercial junk E-mail will be subject to legal
action.  I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any
abusive E-mail.

I mangled my E-mail address to foil automated spammers; reply to
domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not

V.92 modem that does not require 'doze

Post by Anton Grap » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 02:20:46

Quote:> My primary operating system is OS/2 and I have space reserved for some
> Linux partitions. I do not have, and do not want, any version of
> windoze. I'm thinking of buying a V.92 modem, and was dismayed to find
> that some of them only have support for updating the flash memory
> under 'doze.

> Does anyone know of a reliable v/f/d V.92 modem that will work in OS/2
> and Linux and that can be upgraded from DOS, OS/2 or Linux (any one of
> the three is fine.)?

> Note: I've rejected 3com/usr because they spam, and MultiTech because
> they only support reflashing under 'doze. Multitech would otherwise
> have been the leading contender.

I suggest you get an MT and live with this limitation. There are other
uses for Windoze. Besides, how often do you have to reflash a modem?
Chances are that with MT you won't have to do it often. It's a well
engineered piece of hardware. Heck, what's the big deal with turning
modem off, disconnecting the serial cable, connecting it to a windoze
box nearby, turning it back on, reflashing, turning it back off and
moving it back to the linux box? Reflashing a scsi hdd is another deal
though. I once had to do it for five Conners. What a PITA moving them
between the machines :-( So stop griping and get with the program.
It's easy, Luke.

Post by Duke » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 01:57:40

Quote:> My primary operating system is OS/2 and I have space reserved for some
> Linux partitions. I do not have, and do not want, any version of
> windoze. I'm thinking of buying a V.92 modem, and was dismayed to find
> that some of them only have support for updating the flash memory
> under 'doze.

I'd be happy with one that has drivers/support for both Linux & OS/2!  If
you're not a flash-maniac, there really isn't any reason to reflash every
other day - unless you are experiencing a problem with the current firmware,
or when new/important/useful features are introduced.  This is unlikely with
a modem.  If it does happen, a 'doze machine is not really that hard to
find.  Again, I'd be thankful finding a good modem that works flawlessly
under both Linux and OS/2.

Post by John Hasle » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 02:28:51

Quote:Anton Graph writes:
> Heck, what's the big deal with turning modem off, disconnecting the
> serial cable, connecting it to a windoze box nearby, turning it back on,
> reflashing, turning it back off and moving it back to the linux box?

Not everyone has or wants Windows.

Quote:> So stop griping and get with the program.

My program has no place in it for Microsoft.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, Wisconsin

Post by Anton Grap » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 05:13:52

> Anton Graph writes:

>>Heck, what's the big deal with turning modem off, disconnecting the
>>serial cable, connecting it to a windoze box nearby, turning it back on,
>>reflashing, turning it back off and moving it back to the linux box?

> Not everyone has or wants Windows.

Their problem really and is irrelavant. I'd use whatever is required to
get the job done. My problem really :-)

Quote:

>>So stop griping and get with the program.

> My program has no place in it for Microsoft.

I see where you're coming from. And I was just like you. However, the
unfortunate reality is that it's a prerequisite for some tasks. The
EPROM flash on modem being one of them.

Post by Art Jackso » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 05:57:49

Quote:> My primary operating system is OS/2 and I have space reserved for some
> Linux partitions. I do not have, and do not want, any version of
> windoze. I'm thinking of buying a V.92 modem, and was dismayed to find
> that some of them only have support for updating the flash memory
> under 'doze.

> Does anyone know of a reliable v/f/d V.92 modem that will work in OS/2
> and Linux and that can be upgraded from DOS, OS/2 or Linux (any one of
> the three is fine.)?

> Note: I've rejected 3com/usr because they spam, and MultiTech because
> they only support reflashing under 'doze. Multitech would otherwise
> have been the leading contender.

Lots of Linux modem information at the link below. Happy hunting.
http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

--
Art Jackson W4TOY Owensboro, KY USA
Life is God's open book test. In order to pass,

Post by John Hasle » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 05:27:43

Quote:Anton Graph writes:
> I'd use whatever is required to get the job done.

You'd spend more than the price of the modem on an entire OS just to
upgrade the firmware?
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, WI

V.92 modem that does not require 'doze

Post by Herbert Rosen » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 07:27:09

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:59:34 UTC, "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz"

>My primary operating system is OS/2 and I have space reserved for some
>Linux partitions. I do not have, and do not want, any version of
>windoze. I'm thinking of buying a V.92 modem, and was dismayed to find
>that some of them only have support for updating the flash memory
>under 'doze.

Any external modem will work well. Don't buy an internal modem.

--
Tschau/Bye
        Herbert

http://www.pc-rosenau.de
the point to buy eComStation in germany

Post by Anton Grap » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:42:43

> Anton Graph writes:

>>I'd use whatever is required to get the job done.

> You'd spend more than the price of the modem on an entire OS just to
> upgrade the firmware?

Did I ever say that you have to give any money to Microsoft????

Post by mjt » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:40:08

V.92 modem that does not require 'doze

Post by Richard Stein » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:41:44

Here in comp.os.os2.misc,

spake unto us, saying:

Quote:>Note: I've rejected 3com/usr because they spam, and MultiTech because
>they only support reflashing under 'doze. Multitech would otherwise
>have been the leading contender.

That's unfortunate because the external USR Courier is still one of the
best (most upgradable, most compatible, most stable) hobbyist modems
ever made.

--
 -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Win95 + DOS + PC/GEOS = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)

Anton Graph writes:
> Did I ever say that you have to give any money to Microsoft?

I don't do copyright infringement.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, WI

Post by Robert Helle » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:18:33

  In a message on Wed, 10 Jul 2002 18:41:44 -0500, wrote :

RS> Here in comp.os.os2.misc,

RS> spake unto us, saying:
RS>
RS> >Note: I've rejected 3com/usr because they spam, and MultiTech because
RS> >they only support reflashing under 'doze. Multitech would otherwise
RS> >have been the leading contender.
RS>
RS> That's unfortunate because the external USR Courier is still one of the
RS> best (most upgradable, most compatible, most stable) hobbyist modems
RS> ever made.

And they *can* be upgraded from any system that speaks xmodem.  The
*only* thing that requires winblows for an external USR Courier is
upgrading a 33.6K modem to 56K (some stupid license key weirdness).  In
my case, the modem managed to die somehow.  I *think* either being on
too long and when I had a power failure, some component died when it
cooled down.  Don't really know for sure.  It went from being a fairly
reliable 33.6K (connecting mostly at 26K due to crappy phone lines) to
a barely functional 14.4K modem.  I just went out and bought a cheap
($60) 56K modem.  Which in turn 'downgraded' itself during a power
failure while I was on line.  It is now a 33.6K modem that can no
longer tone dial...  Oh, well.  One of these days, I'll have to buy
another one (for $60).  Oh, in my case, a 56K modem is rather a waste,
since the phone system here in Western Mass is basically *-- 33.6K
is probably all I really can make use of, at least until I become
wealthy enough for a $1,000/month T1 line...

RS> --
RS>  -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.veryComputer.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
RS>     OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Win95 + DOS + PC/GEOS = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)
RS>      Applications analyst/designer/developer (13 yrs) seeking employment.
RS>         See web site in my signature for current resume and background.

--
                                     \/

http://www.veryComputer.com/              /\FidoNet:    1:321/153

Post by Optional Identit » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:17:57

Quote:

> My primary operating system is OS/2 and I have space reserved for some
> Linux partitions. I do not have, and do not want, any version of
> windoze. I'm thinking of buying a V.92 modem, and was dismayed to find
> that some of them only have support for updating the flash memory
> under 'doze.

> Does anyone know of a reliable v/f/d V.92 modem that will work in OS/2
> and Linux and that can be upgraded from DOS, OS/2 or Linux (any one of
> the three is fine.)?

> Note: I've rejected 3com/usr because they spam,

I realize how you feel but do you realize you are now ruling out the
maker of the best modems around (USR/3Com)?

1. 'doze -> linux fast, linux -> 'doze slow

   I'd gotten my 'doze box to talk to my linux box, but like someone else
who posted earlier, I had the strange problem of transfers, either through
ftp or http going slowly from the linux box to the 'doze box. A transfer
from 'doze to linux went at ~ 100k/sec but from linux to 'doze crawled at
8-9k/sec.
  First I swapped ethernet cards, no joy. Then I experimented with the
Network Neighborhood, and it seemed to go equally slow in both directions.
Finally it occured to me to try windows\ftp.exe and it reported about
200k/sec.
   Anyway, for reasons I can't explain, I decided to check the LAN settings
in aIEeee 5. Tools->Internet Options->Connections->LAN settings, then
clicked on the check box for Automatically detect settings, and now the
web-pages load

*Lissajous patterns and windmills and don't ask about the connection.*
*       Acid Rainbow: Semi-professional windmill-tilter.             *

2. =========Problem using mmap on DECstations========

3. Modem : Intel 536EP V.92 'Driver' for Redhat 8

4. White pages in the middle....???!!!!

5. USRobotics V.92 data/fax modem not detected

6. Attention users of Sun Enterprise SyMON - help has arrived!

7. require() method not returning parent directory's require directive

8. PETITION CODEWARRIOR FOR LINUX

9. actiontec v.92 callwaiting modem

10. Is there a Gnome applet for V.92 modem?

11. anyone using Creative ModemBlaster v.92 PCI Modem?

12. Supported V.92 v/f/d modems

13. USB 56k v.92 modems?