ANSI display clobbered - request fix

Post by Steven J. Hathawa » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 16:02:39

I have misplaced the magic character sequence that can be issued to
repair
a screen that has been garbaged by printing a binary executable file or
binary
data file.

If someone knows where I can either obtain the magic character sequence
or provide information on ANSI display programming, please respond to
this
newsgroup.

Sincerely,
Steven J. Hathaway

ANSI display clobbered - request fix

Post by Thomas Dicke » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 21:45:27

Quote:> I have misplaced the magic character sequence that can be issued to repair a
> screen that has been garbaged by printing a binary executable file or binary
> data file.
> If someone knows where I can either obtain the magic character sequence or
> provide information on ANSI display programming, please respond to this
> newsgroup.

command-line:
        tput enacs
(perhaps also 'reset')

--

http://dickey.his.com
ftp://dickey.his.com

ANSI display clobbered - request fix

Post by daniel.sch.. » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 21:51:37

Quote:> a screen that has been garbaged by printing a binary executable file or

^V and then ^O may help

Daniel

Post by Jeremiah DeWitt Weine » Sun, 01 Apr 2001 03:40:26

>> a screen that has been garbaged by printing a binary executable file or
> ^V and then ^O may help

        Hey, cool, another addition to the list of tricks.  My method
is "echo -e '\17'", which has the added benefit of working on every
Unix variant I've ever tried it on (which isn't that many, admittedly).
You just have to be sure that your version of echo understands escape
sequences.  The bash builtin echo does, which makes it a good choice
everywhere.  If you want to know why it works, read 'man ascii'; octal
16 and 17 are the Switch In and Switch Out characters.  If it happens
to you a lot, you might want to alias '123' to "echo -e '\017'", since
the numbers have the advantage of not changing when your terminal gets
borked.

JDW

ANSI display clobbered - request fix

Post by Steven J. Hathawa » Sun, 01 Apr 2001 11:38:42

Thanks all for your prompt help.
I'm sure that many newsgroup readers will be helped.

Sincerely,
Steven J. Hahaway

> I have misplaced the magic character sequence that can be issued to
> repair
> a screen that has been garbaged by printing a binary executable file or
> binary
> data file.

> If someone knows where I can either obtain the magic character sequence
> or provide information on ANSI display programming, please respond to
> this
> newsgroup.

> Sincerely,
> Steven J. Hathaway

1. Display IBM ansi characters on Linux

I am new on Linux but I use too SCO UNIX
I have made a program on SCO UNIX witch displays characters IBM ansi,
but it does not work well on Linux ( the semi-graphical characters are
not the same )

Do you know the way to configure the screen on Linux who look like than
SCO UNIX.

I have tried setterm -term ansi but it did'nt give any change.

Thanks for your reply.

2. BIOS + Boot Sequence

3. How do I make less display ansi/highlights ?

4. Apache caching server-parsed docs internally?

5. How to display ANSI (color) characters

6. PROBLEMS configure PPP ?

7. Displaying ANSI screens in linux

8. Help! Internal to external 28K USR

9. ***** HELP ME --- PARSING A FIXED WIDTH FILE IN ANSI C **** TIA!!

10. SCO ANSI terminal vs. regular ANSI terminal

11. Terminal ANSI ou SCO ANSI

12. Apache Compile Error-Not ANSI but gcc is ansi

13. SCO ANSI terminal vs. regular ANSI terminal