bad partition table error during Partition Check

bad partition table error during Partition Check

Post by Wayne and Sherida Mo » Sun, 24 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I'm finally getting around to updating my Linux system.  I currently have
1.1.59 (I know it's old:).  It was the Slackware distribution.

I'm trying to install 1.2.8 from InfoMagic (August 1995 disks).
It is also the Slackware distribution.  I've tried the bare and scsi
boot images and they both give me the same error during boot
during the partition check:

Partition Check:
hda: bad partition table
hdb: bad partition table

When I get to the login and login as root and run fdisk, it spews out lots
of stuff, but nothing related to my actual partitions.

I can still boot my 1.1.59 disks fine, so I know it's not really a
problem with my partition tables.  Also, everything checks out fine under DOS.

My system has a Promise DC-4030VL caching IDE controller.  2 512M IDE drives.
Adaptec AHA 2842 VL SCSI controler with a SCSI CD-ROM.

Any clues to what this problem really is and how to fix it would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Wayne Mock

BTW, the same thing happened with the RedHat distribution with 1.2.11.

1. bad partition table error during Partition Check

I'm finally getting around to updating my Linux system.  I currently have
1.1.59 (I know it's old:).  It was the Slackware distribution.

I'm trying to install 1.2.8 from InfoMagic (August 1995 disks).
It is also the Slackware distribution.  I've tried the bare and scsi
boot images and they both give me the same error during the partition check:

Partition Check:
hda: bad partition table
hdb: bad partition table

When I get to the login and login as root and run fdisk, it spews out lots
of stuff, but nothing related to my actual partitions.

I can still boot my 1.1.59 disks fine, so I know it's not really a
problem with my partition tables.  Also, everything checks out fine under DOS.

My system has a Promise DC-4030VL caching IDE controller.  2 512M IDE drives.
Adaptec AHA 2842 VL SCSI controler with a SCSI CD-ROM.

Any clues to what this problem really is and how to fix it would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Wayne Mock

BTW, the same thing happened with the RedHat distribution with 1.2.11.

2. Beginner trying to connect to M$ Proxy

3. Partition check at boot time & fdisk partition table don't agree

4. in response

5. How to read a Win95-partition with partition table with errors.

6. inet_aton

7. minor sparse change fixing a typo

8. Partition check order in fs/partition/check.c?

9. bad partition table ... upgrade error

10. Sector Not Found Error during Partition Check

11. Errors on booting during partition check

12. Ext2 Partition signature? (Reconstruct Partition Table)