Focus follows mouse in fvwm

Post by SHONKWILER R » Sat, 21 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Just installed Slackware Linux 3.1 and got fvwm without even
trying.  As a twm user, I'm very impressed, but .... I've
spent 3 hours now trying to obtain "Focus follows mouse"
behavior instead of "ClicktoFocus".  Read fvwm man page, traced
through "startx" and "system.fvwmrc" and "system.fvwm2rc95"
scripts and thought removing, in both the system fvwm2rc95 file and
the one written to my home directory, the line "Style "*" ClickToFocus"
would do the trick.  Didn't work.

Made an .xinitrc and a .fvwm2rc95 file in my home directory; the first
brings up two xterms and starts fvwm95-2, while the second has one
line, "Style "*" FocusFollowsMouse.  Still I'm getting click to focus
behavior.

So what's the problem?

ron shonkwiler

--
SHONKWILER R W
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!ma201rs

Focus follows mouse in fvwm

Post by Samuel Ziegl » Sun, 22 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Made an .xinitrc and a .fvwm2rc95 file in my home directory; the first
>brings up two xterms and starts fvwm95-2, while the second has one
>line, "Style "*" FocusFollowsMouse.  Still I'm getting click to focus
>behavior.

>So what's the problem?

Here's my line from fvwm2rc:
Style "*"           SloppyFocus

It does a SloppyFocus, which means the focus follows the mouse, except it
stays with the last window you were on if the mouse goes onto the root
window.  You can use this or:
Style "*"          MouseFocus

for what you want...

--

"Should gays be in the military?... Should anybody?" - Rollins

Focus follows mouse in fvwm

Post by supernau » Sun, 22 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> > Just installed Slackware Linux 3.1 and got fvwm without even
> > trying.  As a twm user, I'm very impressed, but .... I've
> > spent 3 hours now trying to obtain "Focus follows mouse"
> > behavior instead of "ClicktoFocus".  Read fvwm man page, traced

> > So what's the problem?

> > ron shonkwiler

> Hi:

> In my .fvwm2rc95 file I have this:

> #Style "*" ClickToFocus
> # Comment the above and uncomment one of the following if you prefer
> # focus follow mouse.
> Style "*" MouseFocus
> #Style "*" SloppyFocus

Er, SloppyFocus is much better.  If the mouse wanders out of the window
without going into another one, it doesn't loose focus.  It still
focuses on any window when you move the mouse into it though.  Oh, yeah,
Afterstep is much better than fvwm95 too.  l8r

Focus follows mouse in fvwm

Post by Bill Mccart » Mon, 23 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Just installed Slackware Linux 3.1 and got fvwm without even
> trying.  As a twm user, I'm very impressed, but .... I've
> spent 3 hours now trying to obtain "Focus follows mouse"
> behavior instead of "ClicktoFocus".  Read fvwm man page, traced
> through "startx" and "system.fvwmrc" and "system.fvwm2rc95"
> scripts and thought removing, in both the system fvwm2rc95 file and
> the one written to my home directory, the line "Style "*" ClickToFocus"
> would do the trick.  Didn't work.

> Made an .xinitrc and a .fvwm2rc95 file in my home directory; the first
> brings up two xterms and starts fvwm95-2, while the second has one
> line, "Style "*" FocusFollowsMouse.  Still I'm getting click to focus
> behavior.

> So what's the problem?

> ron shonkwiler

Hi:

In my .fvwm2rc95 file I have this:

#Style "*" ClickToFocus
# Comment the above and uncomment one of the following if you prefer
# focus follow mouse.
Style "*" MouseFocus
#Style "*" SloppyFocus

Which allows focus to follow the mouse. Also, to autoraise the
window the mouse focuses on, I have this:
AddToFunc "InitFunction"    "I" Exec xsetroot -solid cyan4 &
+                          "I" Module FvwmBanner
+                           "I" Module FvwmButtons
+                           "I" Module FvwmTaskBar
+                           "I" Module FvwmAuto 550

The FvwmAuto is the module to raise the window. Hope this helps.
--

L I N U \/
        /\

1. fvwm-95: Focus follows mouse ????

Hi.

I can't seem to get fvwm-95 to do "focus follows mouse".
In my .fvwmrc95 whatever file I commented out click to
focus.  Everything else I change (colors, etc.) seem to
work when I change them and restart, but this doesn't.
It stays at click to focus.  I'm using the latest Slackware
distribution (96) with Linux 2.0.0, I think XFree86 3.1.2.

Any ideas?

thanks,

ken

2. How to mount NTFS partition?

3. Focus to follow mouse and window with focus to come to front

4. Auto stop database while shutdown?

5. Afterstep Focus-follows-mouse?

6. Information concering kernel structure

7. Another Level - Focus Follows Mouse

8. Olympus sys.230

9. X window in front when clicking but focus follow mouse!

10. Focus does NOT follow mouse

11. focus follows mouse in olvwm?

12. Window focus "follow mouse" problem.

13. setting autoraise and focus-follows-mouse