How to install rpms from Redhat 5.0 on 4.2

How to install rpms from Redhat 5.0 on 4.2

Post by Drak » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I want to install some new modules that come with the Redhat 5 build
on 4.2 but have had no success.  When I use glint it just bombs out.
Do I need to upgrade my rpm version so that I can use the new RPMS.
If so is there a way to do this.  I dont want to install Redhat 5.0
because some other software I have does not run properly in Redhat
5.0.  Would appreciate any help anyone could give.

Post by Allin Cottrel » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I want to install some new modules that come with the Redhat 5 build
> on 4.2 but have had no success.

You're basically out of luck with this.  RH 5.0 programs are generally
linked against glibc, while your C libraries in RH 4.2 are libc5.
You'll either have to update your RedHat setup, or compile the code
yourself for the programs you want from RH 5.0.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics

Post by David M. Co » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>I want to install some new modules that come with the Redhat 5 build
>on 4.2 but have had no success.

Redhat 5 uses a new libc.  You can recompile source rpms, though, so they'll
use the older libc:

# rpm --rebuild foobar.src.rpm

Dave Cook

How to install rpms from Redhat 5.0 on 4.2

Post by DOUGLAS MICHAEL FO » Sat, 28 Mar 1998 04:00:00

try rpm -U
u stands for UPgrading

: I want to install some new modules that come with the Redhat 5 build
: on 4.2 but have had no success.  When I use glint it just bombs out.
: Do I need to upgrade my rpm version so that I can use the new RPMS.
: If so is there a way to do this.  I dont want to install Redhat 5.0
: because some other software I have does not run properly in Redhat
: 5.0.  Would appreciate any help anyone could give.

--
-----------------------------------

http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~dmf
Nitrous Assisted 96 Honda Civic DX Hatchback

Post by Bob Tenne » Sat, 28 Mar 1998 04:00:00

 >: I want to install some new modules that come with the Redhat 5 build
 >: on 4.2 but have had no success.  When I use glint it just bombs out.
 >: Do I need to upgrade my rpm version so that I can use the new RPMS.
 >: If so is there a way to do this.  I dont want to install Redhat 5.0
 >: because some other software I have does not run properly in Redhat
 >: 5.0.  Would appreciate any help anyone could give.

Try rpm -U <packagefilename>

But if the package needs the new lib6 libraries, you should get
the src (source) package and try to "rebuild" a binary package that
uses the libraries you have.  Or look for a comparable binary package
in the appropriate 4.2 directory.

Bob T.

1. How to install rpms from Redhat 5.0 on 4.2

I want to install some new modules that come with the Redhat 5 build
on 4.2 but have had no success.  When I use glint it just bombs out.
Do I need to upgrade my rpm version so that I can use the new RPMS.
If so is there a way to do this.  I dont want to install Redhat 5.0
because some other software I have does not run properly in Redhat
5.0.  Would appreciate any help anyone could give.

2. Is there a way to edit a binary file?

3. RedHat 4.2 install via FTP + updated .rpm files

4. SHARED MEMORY FOR A PROCESS HELP

5. RedHat 4.2 .rpm updates and install via FTP

6. Help with problem when linking to someone elses library

7. Redhat 4.2/5.0 install troubles

8. Forgot Superuser password

9. Linux(Redhat 5.0, Redhat 4.2, Slackware) failing to recognize hard drive.

10. RH 5.0 rpms usable under RH 4.2?

11. 5.0 RPMs work on 4.2?

12. RedHat 4.2 'rpm' whoo's

13. RedHat 4.2 RPM problem