Looking for good Linux distribution

Looking for good Linux distribution

Post by gt » Mon, 23 Mar 1998 04:00:00



I am looking for the latest Linux.

I wonder if anyone could recommend a good Linux distribution??

Red Hat or Slackware or something else?

Which one gives the most cooling desktop??

 
 
 

Looking for good Linux distribution

Post by Michael Chaya » Mon, 23 Mar 1998 04:00:00



> I am looking for the latest Linux.

> I wonder if anyone could recommend a good Linux distribution??

> Red Hat or Slackware or something else?

> Which one gives the most cooling desktop??

I used two: Yggdrasill and Debian. I think, that second is better
because of it's packages management system.

--
Regards:
Michael Chayat

Phone:
Home: 972-4-9918118
Work: 972-4-8656209 (internal:6209)

Web-page: http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/4825/
*** Speaking for my self and not for Intel ***
============================================================

 
 
 

Looking for good Linux distribution

Post by Sam Trenhol » Mon, 23 Mar 1998 04:00:00


Quote:>I wonder if anyone could recommend a good Linux distribution??

This can start up yet another endless thread [1].  

I have a list of distributions here:

        http://linux-rules.samiam.org/linux/distro.html

Quote:>Which one gives the most cooling desktop??

SuSE does, with the KDE.  See the above web page for a link.

RedHat will match this when Gnome is ready for prime time.

- Sam

Please do not email me questions about this.  Read the web pages and post
further questions here.

[1] http://linux-rules.samiam.org/usenet/endless_threads.txt

--
Unique Linux information: http://linux-rules.samiam.org/linux/linux_links.html
  I reserve the right to make public any mail I receive in response to this

 
 
 

Looking for good Linux distribution

Post by Tor Slettne » Mon, 23 Mar 1998 04:00:00


    >> Which one gives the most cooling desktop??

    Sam> SuSE does, with the KDE.  See the above web page for a link.

So in other words, KDE is your preferred desktop environment.
Why SuSE over e.g. Debian?

I am just curious - I hear people talk favorably about SuSE all the
time.  But I like one feature in Debian very much, and would be very
hard pressed to let it go: The 'menus' package.  Each window manager,
including KDE, provides a 'update-menus' method for adding items in
its menu; each application that you install contains information about
where to place it, its description, startup command, and requirements.
That way, the addition of installed packages in your menus is
automatic, and system-wide. (If individual users take advantage of
this feature - they do by default - their menus are updated as you
install more packages).

-tor

 
 
 

Looking for good Linux distribution

Post by Coli » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00



>I wonder if anyone could recommend a good Linux distribution??

I use Debian but I'd recommend Red Hat too.  S.u.S.e is suppose to be a
good distribution but I haven't tried it myself.

Quote:>Red Hat or Slackware or something else?

I would NOT recommend Slackware unless you like to hack your system A LOT!

Quote:>Which one gives the most cooling desktop??

This depends on which window manager you choose for your X Window System.
Both Debian and Red Hat come with several so there's bound to be one that
you like in either distribution.
--
Please remove "NOJUNK" from my address to mail a reply to me.

 
 
 

Looking for good Linux distribution

Post by Coli » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00



Quote:>I am just curious - I hear people talk favorably about SuSE all the
>time.  But I like one feature in Debian very much, and would be very
>hard pressed to let it go: The 'menus' package.  Each window manager,
>including KDE, provides a 'update-menus' method for adding items in
>its menu; each application that you install contains information about
>where to place it, its description, startup command, and requirements.
>That way, the addition of installed packages in your menus is
>automatic, and system-wide. (If individual users take advantage of
>this feature - they do by default - their menus are updated as you
>install more packages).

I'm afraid to bust your bubble but S.u.S.e. also has a feature like this.
--
Please remove "NOJUNK" from my address to mail a reply to me.

 
 
 

Looking for good Linux distribution

Post by Dave Bro » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00



Quote:

>I would NOT recommend Slackware unless you like to hack your system A LOT!

Such nonsense!  Have you ever used Slackware?  I've probably done an
equal number of installs of RH and Slack, and had many more trouble-free
installs from Slackware.  It does require a little reading, though.

If you're lucky (i.e., your hardware matches exactly what RH expects),
RH can install very smoothly (although I tends to install buckets of
stuff you'll probably never use, but then, disk space has gotten cheap).
On the other hand, RH has failed to setup X properly on several machines
from 4.0 to 4.2, and if X doesn't set up, all the pretty tools RH provides
aren't worth the powder to blow them.

--
Dave Brown   Austin, TX

 
 
 

Looking for good Linux distribution

Post by Chris Water » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00




> >I would NOT recommend Slackware unless you like to hack your system A LOT!
> Such nonsense!  Have you ever used Slackware?  I've probably done an
> equal number of installs of RH and Slack, and had many more trouble-free
> installs from Slackware.  It does require a little reading, though.

I've used Slackware, RH, and Debian, and I'd echo the advice to avoid
Slackware unless you a) want to hack up your system a lot, b) want to
configure everything by hand, c) don't need to have things running
until you've had the time to hack through them (this is sort of a
corrolary to the first two).

Every novice I've talked to who has had troubles setting up Linux has
turned out to be using Slackware.  A pretty poor track record IMO --
I'm afraid that Slackware is doing major damage to Linux's reputation.
(I'm aware that my personal experience is not statistically
significant.  But it remains suggestive, to me.)

OTOH, RH was unable to setup X on my well-supported video card (S3V)
on my latest machine.  Sheesh!  Both Slackware and Debian configured X
with no problems.

Quote:> If you're lucky (i.e., your hardware matches exactly what RH expects),
> RH can install very smoothly (although I tends to install buckets of
> stuff you'll probably never use, but then, disk space has gotten cheap).
> On the other hand, RH has failed to setup X properly on several machines
> from 4.0 to 4.2, and if X doesn't set up, all the pretty tools RH provides
> aren't worth the powder to blow them.

I agree.  That's why I use and recommend Debian.  It's pretty much the
best of both worlds in my experience.  Easy to install, easy to set up
(not as easy as RH, perhaps, except that it's more likely to work in
many cases), easy to get running (in many cases, better than either RH
or Slackware), easy to hack up.  You've tried the rest, now try the
best!  :-)

Followups to col.advocacy

cheers
--
Chris Waters             | Bill Gates: "We need room to innovate!"


www.dsp.net/xtifr/ (web) |

 
 
 

Looking for good Linux distribution

Post by Chris Water » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00


[praise for the Debian menu system]

Quote:> I'm afraid to bust your bubble but S.u.S.e. also has a feature like this.

And RH, from reports, has improved their menu system markedly from the
abyssmal and unusable kludge found in 4.1.  (Last release I tried.)

But SuSE and RH still use the markedly inferior RPM format.  If I
wanted to use a low-quality pseudo-standard, I would have gone with
Microsoft in the first place.  :-)

(The big disadvantage -- if you can call it that -- to Debian's dpkg
is that it's made me wish for something even better.  It does so much
more than RPM, but it could be doing even more.  I hope and pray that
neither RPM nor dpkg becomes so firmly entrenched that it halts all
future development on packaging systems.)
--
Chris Waters             | Bill Gates: "We need room to innovate!"


www.dsp.net/xtifr/ (web) |

 
 
 

Looking for good Linux distribution

Post by Coli » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00



Quote:>>I would NOT recommend Slackware unless you like to hack your system A LOT!

>Such nonsense!  Have you ever used Slackware?  I've probably done an
>equal number of installs of RH and Slack, and had many more trouble-free
>installs from Slackware.  It does require a little reading, though.

Yes I have used Slackware.  To me, it takes more effort to configure things
with Slackware than it does with Red Hat or Debian.
--
Please remove "NOJUNK" from my address to mail a reply to me.

 
 
 

1. Looking for a good Linux distribution....

        Hi, I have recently gone through the painful experience of installing
Linux from the Fall '94 distribution on my system. I was wondering if there is
a distribution that is CURRENT and supports ALL of my hardware without having
to d/l a floppy image and deal with a million bugs!  My hardware is this:

Pentium-90
Micronics P54-i PCI/ISA Motherboard
16MB RAM
Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM (I've figured this out for XFree86 already)
Iomega 250MB tape backup (non-SCSI)
Gravis Ultrasound (soon, coming in mail)
Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI Controller
Toshiba 3401b 2x SCSI CD-ROM
Conner 1.0GB SCSI-2 harddrive

...I'm looking for a release that supports all of this without me having to do
any patching, because I would like to be able to recompile the kernel without
to much mess.  Oh yeah, XFree86 3.1 is a neccessary!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a test, if this were a real emergency you would be dead.

2. dual 3Com 3c509 Nic Configuration

3. Advice on choosing a good Linux distribution

4. freebsd + linux + NIS = ???

5. Looking for Linux Distribution that runs on IBM AS400

6. can't print on Samba from Win95 to linux-server

7. looking for adapted LINUX distributions

8. Looking for Alpha motherboards wich fits to ATX/AT tower

9. Looking for Cheap and Complete Linux Distribution in UK

10. Looking for Linux distribution for MIPS

11. Looking for small Linux distribution

12. looking for minimal Linux distribution

13. Looking for good linux sites