How to upgrade from RedHat 5.2 to 6.0 ?

Post by mik.. » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
I want to upgrade my RedHat 5.2 to 6.0.
How can I upgrade Linux maintaining my applications ?
(I installed a lot of software, including Oracle App. Server.
I can't backup Oracle and also I cancelled the source after
installation to save the disk space.)

Thanks,
Mike

How to upgrade from RedHat 5.2 to 6.0 ?

Post by George Costan » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,
> I want to upgrade my RedHat 5.2 to 6.0.
> How can I upgrade Linux maintaining my applications ?
> (I installed a lot of software, including Oracle App. Server.
> I can't backup Oracle and also I cancelled the source after
> installation to save the disk space.)

> Thanks,
> Mike

Mike,

 Redhat allows you to run an installation in an update mode.  Just get a
copy of the Redhat 6.1 (6.1 is the current version) and run the update.
You can read all about it at the REDHAT site, under support there is
a Redhat installation guide in PDF.

BB

How to upgrade from RedHat 5.2 to 6.0 ?

Post by Anita Lew » Sun, 07 Nov 1999 04:00:00

From what I've been reading, you would be better off using 6.0 as you
plan.  There seems to be some problems with 6.1.

I upgraded from 5.2 to 6.0 and I love it.  There were errata on the first
6.0 disks, but the one I got from www.cheapbytes.com was just fine.

You can run the install and choose Upgrade instead of Install.  I did a
reinstall, but I've heard the other works just fine.  Some have said it
takes a little longer, but it would be well worth it for you.

I had one difference that I recall.  That was in the parallel zip that I
have.  On 5.2 it was found and set up on the install.  In 6.0 (I assume
because of the new kernel) it is necessary to do insmod parport and insmod
ppa.  Everything else was great.  I am using KDE with it and have not
tried Gnome.

Anita

>> Hi,
>> I want to upgrade my RedHat 5.2 to 6.0.
>> How can I upgrade Linux maintaining my applications ?
>> (I installed a lot of software, including Oracle App. Server.
>> I can't backup Oracle and also I cancelled the source after
>> installation to save the disk space.)

>> Thanks,
>> Mike

>Mike,

> Redhat allows you to run an installation in an update mode.  Just get a
>copy of the Redhat 6.1 (6.1 is the current version) and run the update.
>You can read all about it at the REDHAT site, under support there is
>a Redhat installation guide in PDF.

>BB

How to upgrade from RedHat 5.2 to 6.0 ?

Post by Chris Lowt » Sun, 07 Nov 1999 04:00:00

No guarantees but ...

There is an "upgrade" option when you run the 6.0 installation procedure.
This is pretty good. But if you are worried about it - backup first.

Quote:> Hi,

--
From Chris Lowth
---

Post by Leonard Even » Sun, 07 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,
> I want to upgrade my RedHat 5.2 to 6.0.
> How can I upgrade Linux maintaining my applications ?
> (I installed a lot of software, including Oracle App. Server.
> I can't backup Oracle and also I cancelled the source after
> installation to save the disk space.)

> Thanks,
> Mike

-
The upgrade should be fairly straightforward using the
upgrade option.   It is possible that you may also have
to upgrade some of your applications.

-

Post by Hamid Misn » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>Hi,
>I want to upgrade my RedHat 5.2 to 6.0.
>How can I upgrade Linux maintaining my applications ?
>(I installed a lot of software, including Oracle App. Server.
>I can't backup Oracle and also I cancelled the source after
>installation to save the disk space.)

If the reason you want to go from 5.2 to 6.0 is to keep up to date with the
latest distribution, I guess my suggestion will be forget about it. Why fix
thing that ain't broke. There're quite a number of changes between 5.2 and 6.0
especially the libraries which most probably will break some of your Oracle
dependencies (check deja.com to see if you're inviting troubles).

--

- If life hands you a lemon, break out the tequila and salt!