Linking linux boxes via null-modem cable

Linking linux boxes via null-modem cable

Post by patri » Sat, 14 Jan 1995 06:46:51

I would like to connect two linux boxes together via a null-modem
cable.  I'm trying to run agetty on one machine (helium) and minicom
on the other (dialup).  The problem is that I can login to helium from
dialup when helium has been booted, but after I exit minicom and go
back into it I don't get any response from helium.  In /etc/inittab
I'm using /sbin/agetty -L ttyS3 38400.  The -L is to ignore the
carrier detect status.

I've also tried using kermit on dialup to access helium after minicom
has been exited and the same thing happens.

I'm not sure whether the problem is with agetty on helium or
minicom/kermit on dialup.  Would be grateful for any help.

regards
Pat Cain

1. Linux/Win95 to Linux Box Via Null-Modem, then to Internet

Dear all who care:

I actually pulled it off. After about 2 months of research and various
failures, I finally did it. I have two computers, connected with a null
modem cable, and I've been able to connect both to the 'Net via
IP Masquerading. Just thought you should know. If you have any questions
on how to do something like this, let me know. I'll try to be as helpful
as i can. . . .

Just though You should know,

Norman

2. SMC cannot start on Solaris 9

3. connect MS Windows and LINUX boxes via null modem cable?

4. Disable use shadow file

5. linux and windows with ppp via null-modem cable

6. Reliable /unreliable signals

7. ???---Script for Winsock via null-modem to linux box---???

8. Network Time Software

9. My solution to the 'link via null modem(laplink) cable' problem

10. Linking two LANs over null-modem cable...

11. connecting laptop to desktop via null-modem cable

12. Win95 to Linux network via null modem cable?

13. Linux (or NT) to Cisco via null modem cable into 2509 async port