QIC-80 Tape backups (w/Floppy controller) of OS/2 HPFS

QIC-80 Tape backups (w/Floppy controller) of OS/2 HPFS

Post by Wratko Hlavi » Tue, 02 May 1995 04:00:00

*** Linux users may skip the next two Warp-related paragraphs

Day two of Warp, and I see that, although it has many useful applets for
editing/wp/db/internet, there is nothing even half decent as far as bundled
backup software. (Hey, even DOS/Windows now come with good floppy
backup software, and any backup drive comes bundled with DOS/Win apps.)

I take it OS/2 and HPFS are so secure that making daily backups becomes
obsolete - Wow! ;-) [Sarcasm aside, I find it is such a shame so very few
people even consider backing up regularly, and that this task was
not considered sufficiently important. (Not as * as internet access?)]

***

Anyhow, I have a Colorado Jumbo 250 floppy-interface QIC-80 tape backup
drive. None of the included backup software runs under warp (I also read that,
even if it did, there would be problems with EA=Extended Attributes).

Hence, I am seeking appropriate software, particularly freeware. Please
suggest some, so that I no longer sweat from the fear of irrecoverably
wiping out files. (I am NOT going through another backup to HUNDREDS of
floppies!!!!!!)

Under Linux (once I install it), it seems I can use ftape. Would this
same software properly back up HPFS partitions, including all Extended
Attributes and long filenames?

My thanks in advance for any response.

--
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/ Wratko Hlavina _/ MS-DOS WINDOWS _/ English _/ Internet e-mail:        _/

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ http://www.veryComputer.com/~u610142 _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

QIC-80 Tape backups (w/Floppy controller) of OS/2 HPFS

Post by David Chamberli » Wed, 03 May 1995 04:00:00

Have you tried Symantec's FastBack Plus?  It has served me well
under OS/2.

As for backing up from Linux...yes I believe you can use tar to
back up your HPFS drive, but I don't see as how that does you much
good because Linux can't write to HPFS yet.  There might be some
bizarre and convoluted way by writing to a FAT partition and then
moving from FAT to HFPS under OS2, but then you'd lose long filenames
and EA's.

I think your best bet is using OS/2 software to do your HPFS backup.

--

Dave

* David Chamberlin                Home:                      *
* 309 Phillips Hall               108 Juniper Drive          *
* (607) 255-7194                  (607) 277-6780             *
*------------------------------------------------------------*

*   http://Ukulele.ee.cornell.edu/EE320/DChamberlin.html     *

QIC-80 Tape backups (w/Floppy controller) of OS/2 HPFS

Post by Philip H. Lippe » Wed, 03 May 1995 04:00:00

Fastback does NOT work properly under WARP. It will not address the
floppy controller, and kills the desktop when trying to do so on my
system. This get real ugly (it loops, starting up and killing the
destop) unless you turn off restarts in your config.sys.

Symantec is aware of the problems, claims to be working furiously on a
fix, but will give no indication of when it might appear.

Moreover, installation of FastBack has been a royal pain for those of
us who bought it earyl; the 1.00 release had a serious bugs, and while
the 1.01 fixes are free, moving to a new OS (i.e. WARP) requires
installing 1.00, then 1.01, wiht multiple shutdowns inbetween.

In Short, stay away from FastBack for now--it doesn't work with WARP on
most systems, and Symantec's prior record on fixes is not impressive.
There are several alternatives available--I'll let people who own them
recommend.

QIC-80 Tape backups (w/Floppy controller) of OS/2 HPFS

Post by David Chamberli » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00

I have FastBack running on 3 different Warp machines without
a problem.  And yes, I also started with version 1.0.  And
yes, it is a small pain to install 1.0, shutdown, install
1.01 and shutdown, but if memory serves correctly it took
a total of about 7 minutes from start to finish.  I hardly
consider that a reason not to use it.  It has been running
flawlessly (using a flopping controller) for me since last
August (this includes the time I was using it under the
Warp BetaII).

I started off with BackMaster but had never-ending amounts
of trouble with it.  IMHO FastBack is the only thing that
works under OS/2.  But, as always your mileage may vary.

And, I think any more followups should occur under one of
the comp.os.os2 groups, as I'm sure the Linux people are
less than interested in this.

--

Post by Scott Alft » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00

>Under Linux (once I install it), it seems I can use ftape. Would this
>same software properly back up HPFS partitions, including all Extended
>Attributes and long filenames?

It would back it up with no problem, but how would you restore from the
backup?  Unless things have changed (I recently reinstalled my Linux 1.1.51
system after running Warp for a few months), HPFS support provided by the
kernel is read-only.  (I ran OS/2 in a FAT filesystem, so I was able to use
a Linux boot disk to back up and restore my OS/2 setup to/from a QIC-24 tape
drive.)

(IIGS(   GAT 2.1 -d+ H- s !g p0 au  a- w+ v C++ UL++++ P? L++ 3 E  N+ K- W---
 \_^_/   M(-) Vpo+ Y t+(++) 5+(++) !j R- G? tv b+ D B--- e+ u+ h+ f r? !n y?

Post by Philip H. Lippe » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

>I have FastBack running on 3 different Warp machines without
>a problem.

Well count your blessings and keep your fingers crossed, if it works for
you you are lucky, maybe if you told us specifics about your hardware it
would mean something. But THE MANUFACTURER SAYS IT DOESN"T CURRENTLY
WORK UNDER WARP, so do LOTS of users, me among them. (And the errors are
very serious, including possibly destroying old backup tapes made under
2.1-- I can't tell for sure since it won't read them.) Moreover, while
they say they are working furiously on a patch, they will give NO
indication WHATEVER of when it might be ready. So I must strongly
recomment that against purchasing FASTBACK at this time.

 And yes, I also started with version 1.0.  And

Quote:>yes, it is a small pain to install 1.0, shutdown, install
>1.01 and shutdown, but if memory serves correctly it took
>a total of about 7 minutes from start to finish.

Well fine, if it all goes well. It's when it doesn',t and the program
starts killing your Workplace Shell, and you try reinstalling it, and
find that that doesn't work properly uless you delete all the old
versions, etc, and have gone through several cycles of double-boot
reinstalls, some involving lengthy chkdisks of 1G of diskspace (not 7
minutes on my system...), that you start telling people that perhaps they
should look elsewhere  for a program whose purpose is to safeguard the
integrity of there work.

Post by Jeff Gre » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

>I take it OS/2 and HPFS are so secure that making daily backups becomes
>obsolete - Wow! ;-)

Well, yes :-)

Quote:>[Sarcasm aside, I find it is such a shame so very few people even consider
>backing up regularly, and that this task was not considered sufficiently
>important. (Not as * as internet access?)]

True on both counts.

Quote:>Anyhow, I have a Colorado Jumbo 250 floppy-interface QIC-80 tape backup
>Hence, I am seeking appropriate software, particularly freeware. Please

BackMaster. It's not freeware but it does work well with a Colorado 250MB.

Quote:>Under Linux (once I install it), it seems I can use ftape. Would this
>same software properly back up HPFS partitions, including all Extended
>Attributes and long filenames?

No idea.

Regards...Jeff
--
+=================================================================+
+=================================================================+       v

Post by Peter F » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

: Have you tried Symantec's FastBack Plus?  It has served me well
: under OS/2.

: As for backing up from Linux...yes I believe you can use tar to
: back up your HPFS drive, but I don't see as how that does you much
: good because Linux can't write to HPFS yet.  There might be some
: bizarre and convoluted way by writing to a FAT partition and then
: moving from FAT to HFPS under OS2, but then you'd lose long filenames
: and EA's.

: I think your best bet is using OS/2 software to do your HPFS backup.

Of course, you could always backup the entire raw disk, but then you
could only restore the complete image, not individual files.
Not very useful really.

Peter.

QIC-80 Tape backups (w/Floppy controller) of OS/2 HPFS

Post by David Chamberli » Sat, 06 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Well count your blessings and keep your fingers crossed, if it works for
>you you are lucky, maybe if you told us specifics about your hardware it
>would mean something. ,

One machine is a 90Mhz Micron Pentium, PCI SCSI-II for the hard-disks
(each .5Gb) and CD-ROM, Colorado Jumbo 250 connected to floppy
controller.

The 2nd is a no-name (i.e. local slap-together) 486DX50 with one
450MB IDE drive, Colorado Jumbo 250 connected to floppy controller.

The 3rd is a Leading Edge 386sx16 with a 100MB IDE drive, Colorado
Jumbo 250 connected to floppy controller.

All are running Warp with FastBack v1.01.  I had trouble creating
rescue disks on one of the machines, but fixed that somehow (don't
remember how).  Other than that I haven't had any problems (knock
on wood!)

Quote:>that you start telling people that perhaps they
>should look elsewhere  for a program whose purpose is to safeguard the
>integrity of there work.

Point well taken.  I will count my blessings and let others find
something that works for them.  BTW, I've gotten several messages
praising DualStor.

--

Dave

* David Chamberlin                Home:                      *
* 309 Phillips Hall               108 Juniper Drive          *
* (607) 255-7194                  (607) 277-6780             *
*------------------------------------------------------------*

*   http://Ukulele.ee.cornell.edu/EE320/DChamberlin.html     *

1. QIC-80 Tape controller card help required.

I have a Colorado QIC-80 tape controller card and am in need of advice
in configuring support for it.

The card is jumperless and fits in an ISA slot, it presents an interface
the same as the floppy controller would. The only difference is that the
controller card transfers data at 1Mb/s

I have seen the procedure for adding tape support for the floppy controller
can I make use of this and hope to autodetect the controller card ?

Thanks

2. unusal setup problem

3. Conner QIC-80 "floppy" tape drive

4. Antivirus scan - Clamscan- Exploit.IFRAME.Generic

5. QIC-80 tape floppy I/F implementations

6. US-Robotics 56k

7. QIC-80 Floppy based Tape support?

8. IP Multicasts on Solaris 2.6

9. Backup to QIC-80 tape drive (Colorado)

10. Any tape drive (QIC-80) backup program?

11. Trouble getting ftape to work properly with DJ-20 (QIC-80) floppy tape drive

12. Caldera BACKUP.UNET utility and QIC-80 tapes: compatible?

13. wanted information on QIC-40/QIC-80 tape drives.