Using vi over Win95 telnet connection

Post by Eric Peterso » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi
  I have a home network with 2 Win95 and 1 linux machine.  Sometimes it is
more convenient (especially when troubleshooting) to login via telnet from
my Win95 box.  My problem is that if I start vi the telnet window shows
only the first screen.  Using the arrow keys to scroll down works as far as
the bottom of the screen, but all further data just overwrites the last
line over and over and over . . .
  I have tried playing around with the Win95 Telnet settings with no
success.  Is it something I have misconfigured on the linux box?  Or do I
just need to find a better telnet than the one that comes with Win95.
        Thanks.

Post by T.E.Dicke » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: Hi
:   I have a home network with 2 Win95 and 1 linux machine.  Sometimes it is
: more convenient (especially when troubleshooting) to login via telnet from
: my Win95 box.  My problem is that if I start vi the telnet window shows
: only the first screen.  Using the arrow keys to scroll down works as far as
: the bottom of the screen, but all further data just overwrites the last
: line over and over and over . . .
:   I have tried playing around with the Win95 Telnet settings with no
: success.  Is it something I have misconfigured on the linux box?  Or do I
: just need to find a better telnet than the one that comes with Win95.
your environment (e.g., $TERM, $LINES, $COLUMNS) is telling vi that your
screen is longer - so the scrolling is happening at the wrong time.

--
Thomas E.*ey

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by Jim Buchan » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: success.  Is it something I have misconfigured on the linux box?  Or do I
: just need to find a better telnet than the one that comes with Win95.

In my experience, that's it. You need a better Telnet. The one that
comes with W95 is junk.

I tried easyterm from www.tucows.com, and it was better, but the
clipboard didn't work. Then I tried cnet32 (I think I got the name
right). It works, and the clipboard functions, but it's crippled
shareware (nothing too bad, just limited to three simultaneous
connections). I like it enough to register it, but I'd prefer freeware
on principle. Preferably, something with available source, IMHO, it's
not really free if the source isn't available.

Fortunately my time in W95 purgatory is over for a while, so I won't
have to look soon.

--

================= http://members.iquest.net/~jbuchana ====================
And all should cry, Beware! Beware! His flashing eyes, his floating hair!

Post by Frank Sweetse » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>   I have tried playing around with the Win95 Telnet settings with no
> success.  Is it something I have misconfigured on the linux box?  Or do I
> just need to find a better telnet than the one that comes with Win95.

windows telnet sucks ass.  it's the only telnet client I've seen where,
identically configured, it will not behave the same from one box to the
next.  try TerraTerm or QVTNet instead (sorry, don't have any pointers...)

paramount.res.wpi.net RH 5.0 kernel 2.0.33/2.1.91p1 i586 | at public servers
That' to get to gcc, Emacs, and gdb.  Thank you."
(By Vance Petree, *ia Power)

Using vi over Win95 telnet connection

Post by Roy Stogn » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>  I have tried playing around with the Win95 Telnet settings with no
>success.  Is it something I have misconfigured on the linux box?  Or do I
>just need to find a better telnet than the one that comes with Win95.

You need a better telnet.  CRT or QVTTerm are the best I've seen for
Windows.

Windows telnet is the worst program (barring one whose install fragged
the registry and required a Windows reinstallation) I've seen for
Win32.  I could list the problems with it for pages, but basically
they can be summed up in the conclusion: there is no way any
programmer could*up a telnet client that badly unless it was
done on purpose - the thing is featureless, slow, the window itself
freezes up when it's trying to connect, the resizing doesn't work
right and never works when you first start the program, it doesn't
send window resize information to the remote programs, it... but I
said I wouldn't start listing that stuff.  Basically, the only
explanation is that Windows telnet is a deliberate attempt to harm
Unix usability.
---
Roy Stogner

1. Telnet: is there a way of editing JOT files using telnet on a win95 system.

I am using win95 telnet to access my work station (sgi indy) in school.
I was wondering if there is a way of editing JOT files. Also, I am trying
to ftp from my house to work.When I telnet into my workstation,
I first have to go to the mainstation before I can access my station, but
my ftp only connects to the mainstation. Is there a way or a software that
will connect me to the mainstation then to my workstation.

Thanx, agabas

2. Rawhide and mdk7.1

3. Win95 Telnet vi GPF

4. How to configure my Windows keys?

5. Telnet /Connection refused from Win95 to Linux

6. CDPATH problem (ksh and bash)

7. wrong display using vi via telnet

8. firewall and services on the same box?

9. Cursor keys in FTP OnNet 2.0 client when using vi in a telnet session.....

10. wrong display using vi via telnet

11. telnet dial-in using win95

12. Linux -> Win95 serial connection using getty/mgetty/agetty

13. Running XWindows on a remote machine using a Win95 box via telnet........