Octave 0.81 (bin & src) Uploaded to Sunsite

Octave 0.81 (bin & src) Uploaded to Sunsite

Post by Phil Johns » Tue, 01 Feb 1994 08:47:32

I have uploaded statically linked binaries (including IEEE support) of
Octave version 0.81 to sunsite.unc.edu in /pub/Linux/Incoming.  Unaltered
sources are also there as octave compiles out of the box though, as noted
below, for proper IEEE handling of NaN and Inf you must link with an
altered version of crt0, which has been uploaded as well.

Compiling requires at least GCC 2.5.6, I used GCC 2.5.7 and the 4.5.8
libraries.  However as the compiled binaries are static they should
work on older systems without difficulty.

The following contains information on octave and where to send problem
reports.

Phil Johnson

======octave.iafa======
Title:          Octave
Version:        0.81
                for numerical computations.  It provides a convenient
                command line interface very similar to Matlab[tm] for
                solving linear and nonlinear problems numerically, and
                for plotting the results (using gnuplot).
                    Octave can do arithmetic for real and complex
                scalars and matrices, solve sets of nonlinear
                algebraic equations, integrate functions over finite
                and infinite intervals, and integrate systems of
                ordinary differential and differential-algebraic
                equations.
                    The underlying numerical solvers are currently
                standard Fortran ones like Lapack, Linpack, Odepack,
                the Blas, etc., packaged in a library of C++ classes.

Maintained-by:  The author.  Version 0.81 binary compiled and uploaded

Maintained-at:  ftp.che.utexas.edu

Platforms:      Most Unix-like systems that have a working g++/libg++.
                To compile with IEEE support on Linux systems, get the
                crt0.S (or crt0.o) from ftp.che.utexas.edu in the
                pub/octave/i486-linux directory.  For graphics, Octave
                also requires gnuplot.
Copying-Policy: Freely Redistributable (GNU Public Licence)

======README.octave======

Octave -- a high-level language for numerical computations.

Copyright (C) 1992, 1993, 1994 John W. Eaton

Last updated: Wed Jan  5 01:18:20 1994

Overview
--------

Octave is a high-level language, primarily intended for numerical
computations.  It provides a convenient command line interface for
solving linear and nonlinear problems numerically.

Octave is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the
Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any
later version.

Octave is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT
ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the file COPYING for more
details.

Availability
------------

The latest released version of Octave is always available via
anonymous ftp from ftp.che.utexas.edu in the directory /pub/octave.
Complete source and binaries for several popular systems are
available.

Installation and Bugs
---------------------

Octave requires approximately 25MB of disk storage to unpack and
install (significantly  less if you don't compile with debugging
symbols).  In order to build Octave, you will need a current version
of g++, libg++, and GNU make.  Octave is known to compile on the
following systems:

  SPARCstation 2        SunOS 4.1.2
  IBM RS/6000           AIX 3.2.x
  DECstation 5000/240   Ultrix 4.2a
  i486                  Linux
  i486                  NetBSD (without IEEE floating point support)
  HP 9000/7xx           HP-UX 9.x
  SGI                   Irix 4.04
  NeXT                  ?

As of version 0.80, you must have G++ 2.5.6 or later to compile
Octave.

See the notes in the files INSTALL and INSTALL.OCTAVE for more
specific installation instructions, including directions for
installing Octave from a binary distribution.

The file BUGS contains a recommended procedure for reporting bugs, as
well as a list of known problems.

Binary Distributions
--------------------

Binary copies of Octave are now distributed for several popular Unix
systems.  To save disk space, the complete source code for Octave is
no longer included with the binary distribution, but should be
available in the same place as the binaries.  If not, please contact

The file INSTALL.OCTAVE contains specific installation instructions,
for installing Octave from a binary distribution.

Implemenation
-------------

Octave is being developed with the Free Software Foundation's make,
bison (a replacement for YACC), flex (a replacement for lex), gcc/g++,
and libg++ on a SPARCstation II and a DECstation 5000/240.  It should
be possible to install it on any machine that runs GCC/G++.  It may
also be possible to install it using other implementations of these
tools, but it will most certainly require much more work.  Do yourself
a favor and get the GNU development tools, either via anonymous ftp
from prep.ai.mit.edu or by writing the Free Software Foundation, 675
Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

The underlying numerical solvers are currently standard Fortran ones
like Lapack, Linpack, Odepack, the Blas, etc., packaged in a library
of C++ classes (see the files in the libcruft and liboctave
subdirectories).  If possible, the Fortran subroutines are compiled
with the system's Fortran compiler, and called directly from the C++
functions.  If that's not possible, they are translated with f2c and
compiled with a C compiler.  Better performance is usually achieved if
the intermediate translation to C is avoided.

The library of C++ classes may also be useful by itself.

--
John W. Eaton

Department of Chemical Engineering
The University of Texas at Austin

======end README.octave======

Post by Phil Johns » Tue, 01 Feb 1994 14:31:22

>I have uploaded statically linked binaries (including IEEE support) of
>Octave version 0.81 to sunsite.unc.edu in /pub/Linux/Incoming.  Unaltered
>sources are also there as octave compiles out of the box though, as noted
>below, for proper IEEE handling of NaN and Inf you must link with an
>altered version of crt0, which has been uploaded as well.

I'm following-up my own post because the source and binaries are now
in /pub/Linux/apps/math on sunsite.  I'm not sure where the crt0.S file
that is reccommended for compiling (well linking really), is going to end
up.  If you want it and it disappears from sunsite, it is available from

ftp.che.utexas.edu in /pub/octave/i486-linux

I should have just put it in with the sources, next time I will.

Phil

1. ANNOUNCE: octave-0.66 re-uploaded at sunsite.unc.edu

I have re-uploaded the octave-0.66 binary in sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/Incoming. The original upload was accidentally deleted by the system administrator at
sunsite last week. This new binary is smaller and runs faster than the previous
one because I remembered to switch on optimisation during compilation this
time.
Briefly, OCTAVE is a freely distributable Matlab clone for doing numerical
analysis. It is written by John Eaton, and the full source code is available
by anonymous ftp from ftp.che.utexas.edu:/pub/octave . It is still in ALPHA
testing, but is already pretty good.

--

2. I finally got this port-connection problem fixed!

3. New octave binary uploaded at Sunsite

4. .htaccess file access question

5. octave.1.1.1-ELF.bin.tar.gz @ sunsite

6. MSN Messanger and diald

7. Freebsd 3.4 & licq 0.81 port

8. blender questions

9. BCG-game-pack-1.0.bin.ELF.tgz uploaded to sunsite.unc.edu

10. newspak-1.4 uploaded to sunsite (sources kind'a plus bins)

11. tn3270 src and bin has been uploaded

12. Octave 1.0 (binaries & src) Released

13. XForms 0.81 build problem