From system log to alert sounds

Post by Mario Giammarc » Sat, 12 Apr 2003 22:48:02

Hello,
I am searching a software that scans various logs and when notice
something interesting (eg: hacker intrusion, smart hard disk near fault,
temperature too high) warns me with a sound or a popup in gnome panel etc.

I know that exists nagios et similar but they are to difficult to
configure and overkill for a single computer

Any ideas? thanks in advance!

1. ksh...newbie alert..newbie alert

Hi All:
How would one test for an occurence of a given string within a field?

I use a script to notify network administrators if a print server in their bailiwick is down. If I don'r know the users name, I insert xxxx in a field.

Ex:
# get the network administrator
    cut -d' ' -f3 /home/smartin/device > address.$i

what I want to do is if f3 contains xxxx, then don't stuff the name into address.
TIA any and all comments, suggestions, whatevers.
Sam

2. How to Forward default NAT destination?

3. Alert when user logs on

4. Use of random/srandom functions on unix...help

5. Snort isn't alerting/logging..

6. IrDA patches on the way...

7. How to send an alert to other terminals when somebody logs on?

8. Group Passwords

9. IBM-ERS Security Vulnerability Alert: Buffer overflow and insecure log files in the

10. Program to purge log files of Red Alert junk

11. Creating log file with today's date (newbie alert!)

12. alert when a user logs in

13. Logging and Alerts...