Counting the number of pages printed

Post by Arkady Pikovs » Sat, 11 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Is it possible to account the number of pages
printed ?
The problem is that lpr doesn't pass the number of pages
to an input filter, where accounting should be done.

--
--------
A. Pikovsky

Post by Victor Wagn » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00

: Is it possible to account the number of pages
: printed ?
: The problem is that lpr doesn't pass the number of pages
: to an input filter, where accounting should be done.

Are you sure that lpr knows it?
It is job for filter to COUNT pages.

There is standard input filter lpf, usially included in distribution,
which can count pages for simple text prints. It just counts lines
and increments page counter by 1 on each 66 line.
 You can
try to count pages in postscript file by
grep -c '^%%Page'
but it may fail in some weird cases, for example for Postscript
files which use Macintohsh EOL convention (^M only) where grep
would treat all file as line, or for files generated by dvips in
"strip comments" mode.

Only relaible way to count pages in Postscript document is to ask
Postscript interpreter.

I now that there is script for Ghostscript to do so, but I'm not
aware how to combine it with sending output to device.

: --
: --------
: A. Pikovsky

I have tin news and pine mail...

1. Printing - Count printed Pages?

At our work we was using NT Server , now we are switching to Linux, but
we have problem with founding how to count number of pages printed by
user.
Please help us!
In NT we was using Pcounter software.
There should be some sollution in Linux.

Rafael

2. A newbie? Welcome to comp.os.linux.setup, read this first if you're new here (FAQ)

3. Q: Info about paging (count of page-in/page-out)?

4. libraries

5. How to count the number of papers/print file size)?

6. sigchld in solaris 2.4

7. Counting printed pages

8. network loopback device disappeared

9. script to count pages printed?

10. Print page count for each users

11. counting printed pages under solaris

12. Counting printed pages