Setting date correctly for my time zone

Post by Tazber » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

My linux box (running Debian Slink) is attached to a cable modem and is
acting as a web server, dhcp server and webgate for a couple Win98
boxes on my LAN. The problem I am having is that the clock on my linux
box seems to be quick. Doing a search in some forums, I have come to
the conclusion that I need to use cron to fire off either netdate or
rdate to reset my clock. At least that is what seems to be the best
solution I was able to find. I did some searches on the internet for
some atomic clocks to get the time from, but everything seems to be in
UTC. I am on EST and would like the clock to be set to that.

My questions are, am I on the right track for fixing the problem with
using cron and netdate or rdate to get an accurate time? How do I go
about getting the time to EST? Is there an atomic clock on the east
coast that I can query or do I need to write a script to subtract the 4
hours? Since my linux box is up 24/7, would setting the CMOS clock
using hwclock do me any good (it is my understanding that a reboot is
needed after this is done)? I have seen something about just setting
you clock to UTC and then specifing a time zone on your system, then
when the time on your system is queried it returns the time according
to the time zone you set. Should I look more into this solution?

--
Play hard the body heals!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Setting date correctly for my time zone

Post by John Hasle » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> My questions are, am I on the right track for fixing the problem with
> using cron and netdate or rdate to get an accurate time?

No.

Quote:> Is there an atomic clock on the east coast that I can query or do I need
> to write a script to subtract the 4 hours?

The timeservers are all on UTC but you needn't worry about that. The
software knows all about timezones.

Quote:> I have seen something about just setting you clock to UTC and then
> specifing a time zone on your system, then when the time on your system
> is queried it returns the time according to the time zone you set. Should
> I look more into this solution?

Yes.  The problem is not really very complicated.  Set your CMOS clock to
UTC, set UTC=yes in /etc/default/rcS  (may have been different in slink:
email me if so) and install the chrony package.  Because you are on cable
you will need to edit the standard configuration slightly.  Email me for
help: I'm the chrony maintainer.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, WI

1. Setting date correctly for my time zone

[...]

2. Ping the network

3. how to set time and time zone correctly?

4. Cirrus Logic GD5428 and linear addressing...

5. How to set Date/Time zone on Linux?

6. Install debian or redhat without monitor

7. ptrace alternative ?

8. System date and file dates not showing in same time zone

9. How to set Date/Time zone on Linux?

10. NEED HELP SETTING TIME ZONE USING DATE COMMAND

11. setting the time zone for `date'

12. Redhat 6.0 Time Zone or Date Problem