Two logins to X from one machine via virtual consoles?

Two logins to X from one machine via virtual consoles?

Post by Edward W. Morris, Jr » Sat, 25 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Last night I logged in on one id on my Linux box and fired up x-windows
(startx).  I then hit alt-cntl-F2 to open a second virtual console and
login under a different id.  Can this second virtual console access the
x-win system too?  startx tries to fire up a 2nd xserver, and xterm
can't open either.  I'm a bit new at x, so I'm not sure if this is
impossible. Thanks in advance.

Two logins to X from one machine via virtual consoles?

Post by Roberto Alsi » Sat, 25 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Last night I logged in on one id on my Linux box and fired up x-windows
>(startx).  I then hit alt-cntl-F2 to open a second virtual console and
>login under a different id.  Can this second virtual console access the
>x-win system too?  startx tries to fire up a 2nd xserver, and xterm
>can't open either.  I'm a bit new at x, so I'm not sure if this is
>impossible. Thanks in advance.

You can have as many X-servers running. Log in any terminal and do

startx & startx -- :1 & startx -- :2

There you have three X, on terms 7,8 and 9.

In general, you can give arguments to the X server putting them after the --.

For example: this opens yet another X, this time in 16-bit color:
startx -- :3 -bpp 16

The :n means the "display" number n.

Regards

--

 ("\''/").__..-''"`-. .         Roberto Alsina

 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Lit*
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina

Two logins to X from one machine via virtual consoles?

Post by KeNs » Sun, 26 Jan 1997 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:>startx tries to fire up a 2nd xserver, and xterm
>can't open either.  I'm a bit new at x, so I'm not sure if this is
>impossible.

Yes, you can start several X-servers on the machine. With startx use the
following syntax:
startx -- :1 (for the first server) This server will be at the next
available VT, usually accassible on ctrl-F7
startx -- :2 (for the other server) Starts on ctrl-F8

/Kenny

1. Two logins to X from one machine via virtual consoles?

Last night I logged in on one id on my Linux box and fired up x-windows
(startx).  I then hit alt-cntl-F2 to open a second virtual console and
login under a different id.  Can this second virtual console access the
x-win system too?  startx tries to fire up a 2nd xserver, and xterm
can't open either.  I'm a bit new at x, so I'm not sure if this is
impossible. Thanks in advance.

2. Cable modem sucess!

3. Two screens/consoles on one machine. How?

4. automatic FTP-program

5. Two screens/consoles on one machine, how?

6. Announce: modified version of dialog utilitie...

7. Two machines on Internet via one SLIP connection?

8. CPU Problem

9. How can one restrict remote login access to a Solaris 2.6 machine via ssh or ftp?

10. Can't login via xdm, but can via telnet/console

11. Ip Route equalize w/ one machine via one ISP

12. two ip addresses / two gateways / one machine?

13. two IP's on one machine using two differnet NIC's