Do I need Ghostscript?

Post by Bryan Bro » Fri, 16 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I've just finished installing the basic, development, applications,
networking, and a minimal set of the XWindows packages on my old notebook
PC (386SX, fpu, 8MB RAM, 80MB hard disk), and got the fvwm window manager
to work with my PS/2 mouse.  But there's only about 2.8 MB of free disk
space left, even after removing nearly everything I don't think I'll
need.  Since I'd like to be able to actually *do* something with the
system, I need more disk space.

Sooooo, do I really need the Ghostscript package?  I don't have a
postscript printer, am not connected to a network (I installed the
network package for the ppp tools only), don't expect to use Ghostscript
myself, so what tools really *need* the Ghostscript package to function?
Surely not the s/w development tools.

Thanks

Bryan

--
*---------------------------------------------------------------

*---------------------------------------------------------------

Do I need Ghostscript?

Post by Mr Hans J Litte » Sat, 17 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I've just finished installing the basic, development, applications,
>networking, and a minimal set of the XWindows packages on my old notebook
>PC (386SX, fpu, 8MB RAM, 80MB hard disk), and got the fvwm window manager
>to work with my PS/2 mouse.  But there's only about 2.8 MB of free disk
>space left, even after removing nearly everything I don't think I'll
>need.  Since I'd like to be able to actually *do* something with the
>system, I need more disk space.

>Sooooo, do I really need the Ghostscript package?  I don't have a
>postscript printer, am not connected to a network (I installed the
>network package for the ppp tools only), don't expect to use Ghostscript
>myself, so what tools really *need* the Ghostscript package to function?
>Surely not the s/w development tools.

>Thanks

>Bryan

Personally, I'd say you probably don't. Ghostscript is a virtual necessity
if you want to print anything other than text. Postscript is the closest
thing UNIX has to a native printing format; virtually *all* UNIX apps which
can generate non-text output know about Postscript. However, most (poor)
Linux users can't afford a Postscript (well, I can't!), so need something
to translate it into their printers native format; this is one of the many
things Ghostscript is cabable of doing.

The point is fairly academic anyway; you've got room for the binaries but
not the fonts. You can't really run it anyway...

Hans

P.S I hope I haven't now convinced you it's indispensable! :-)

Hans Litteck                            University of Surrey
Distributed Systems Section             Guildford
University Computing Services           Surrey    GU2 5XH

phone: +44-1483-300800  ext 3204
fax:   +44-1483-259502

1. Samba w/ DOS box - what does DOS need?

I am trying to set up my linux box as a file server for my DOS box.
I have installed samba and running it from my linux box seems to
work fine.  The INSTALL.txt file mentions using a file called
'net.exe' on the DOS box.  Where is this program and is there
something that you can use as an alternative?

Ari Shapiro

2. looking for a friendly freeBSD site to compile 4 programs

3. HELP NEEDED: Need DOS emulator for WABI under Solaris

4. Cannot get my mail

6. troff previewer for AT&T 5620

7. need non-htm sources for ghostscript.

8. su command and logins

9. which ghostscript files do i need?

10. Ghostscript - Do I need it if RH5.2 already prints

11. Help needed: Ghostscript as /etc/printcap filter

12. GhostScript and Canon printers - need help

13. Ghostscript printing always needs manual feed