RH 5 (2.0.32) crashes on Cyrix 6x86 - kernel workaround?

RH 5 (2.0.32) crashes on Cyrix 6x86 - kernel workaround?

Post by Steve Sobol, UNMUNG » Sun, 22 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hiya. My home machine is a Cyrix 6x86 P166+ with 32 MB of RAM, running Red
Hat 5.0 (Kernel 2.0.32). It likes to crash at inopportune times. Noting that
Red Hat doesn't like Cyrix CPU's (I've also occasionally had GCC segfault
and dump core while compiling kernels under 4.2), I was wondering -

  1. Is the problem with the kernel, GLIBC or one of the other libraries?
  2. Is there a workaround?

I have experienced occasional crashes using The Gimp under XFree86, (XFree
seems to freeze up) and have also seen crashes where I will come home after
a day of the computer doing nothing, and see a register dump on the screen.

--
   Steve Sobol, Tech Support Guru, NACS.NET  [http://www.nacs.net/support]
 (The address I use on Usenet is a valid address - don't try to unmunge it!)

RH 5 (2.0.32) crashes on Cyrix 6x86 - kernel workaround?

Post by IOresul » Sun, 22 Mar 1998 04:00:00

BEfore you use RH5, get ALL of the errata updates from
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/updates/5.0/i386  ...
RH5 is somewhat buggy until you fix it with all these errata updates.
Glibc is freqeuntly updated so check back every few weeks or so to make
sure you always have the latest Glibc.

Quote:

> Hiya. My home machine is a Cyrix 6x86 P166+ with 32 MB of RAM, running
Red
> Hat 5.0 (Kernel 2.0.32). It likes to crash at inopportune times. Noting
that
> Red Hat doesn't like Cyrix CPU's (I've also occasionally had GCC segfault
> and dump core while compiling kernels under 4.2), I was wondering -

>   1. Is the problem with the kernel, GLIBC or one of the other libraries?
>   2. Is there a workaround?

> I have experienced occasional crashes using The Gimp under XFree86,
(XFree
> seems to freeze up) and have also seen crashes where I will come home
after
> a day of the computer doing nothing, and see a register dump on the
screen.

> --
>    Steve Sobol, Tech Support Guru, NACS.NET

[http://www.nacs.net/support]

Quote:>  (The address I use on Usenet is a valid address - don't try to unmunge
it!)
>      Moderator, alt.religion.afterburner  [http://antispam.nstc.com/ara]
>       1997 AL and 1998 World Series Champions: [http://www.indians.com]

RH 5 (2.0.32) crashes on Cyrix 6x86 - kernel workaround?

Post by Danny Cha » Sun, 22 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hiya. My home machine is a Cyrix 6x86 P166+ with 32 MB of RAM, running Red
> Hat 5.0 (Kernel 2.0.32). It likes to crash at inopportune times. Noting that
> Red Hat doesn't like Cyrix CPU's (I've also occasionally had GCC segfault
> and dump core while compiling kernels under 4.2), I was wondering -

>   1. Is the problem with the kernel, GLIBC or one of the other libraries?
>   2. Is there a workaround?

> I have experienced occasional crashes using The Gimp under XFree86, (XFree
> seems to freeze up) and have also seen crashes where I will come home after
> a day of the computer doing nothing, and see a register dump on the screen.

> --
>    Steve Sobol, Tech Support Guru, NACS.NET  [http://www.nacs.net/support]
>  (The address I use on Usenet is a valid address - don't try to unmunge it!)
>      Moderator, alt.religion.afterburner  [http://antispam.nstc.com/ara]
>       1997 AL and 1998 World Series Champions: [http://www.indians.com]

Try a utility calles set6x86. There should be a link from
http://wauug.erols.com/~balsa/linux/cyrix/index.html. You should also check if
your problem is buggy RAM.
--

1. Kernel pb RH 6.1 / Cyrix 6x86

Hi,

I have installed a redhat 6.1 on a 6x86 computer.
Kernel is 2.2.12
When i try to compile the kernel it crashes.
I found some explanation on the net but only with the RH 5.0.
When i upgrade kernel to 2.2.16 i get the same problem.
Does anyone had the same problem or can give me an advice ?

Thanks in advance.
--
Jean Christophe Godefroy

2. How to Solaris 7 - Intel Install

3. Possible EATA-DMA SCSI/SMP/Cyrix 6x86 boot crash on 2.1.30?

4. fssnap_ufs: error in documentation?

5. Cyrix Cx486DRx2-16/32 CPU causes kernel to panic

6. solaris 9 & radeon9700

7. Cyrix 6x86 CPU best kernel type ?

8. Ports FTP

9. Cyrix 6x86 kernel patch

10. Kernel build option with Cyrix 6x86

11. Compiling kernel for Cyrix 6x86

12. Cyrix 6x86 with 686 (PPro) optimized kernel

13. kernel optimizaton for Cyrix 6x86