any program that can play XXX.au files ?

any program that can play XXX.au files ?

Post by Ta Cheng L » Wed, 07 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Hi, I usually use cat xxx.au > /dev/audio to play .au files.
Is there any good program that can play .au file in a more
elegant way.

Thanks

Post by John Hartnu » Thu, 08 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: Hi, I usually use cat xxx.au > /dev/audio to play .au files.
: Is there any good program that can play .au file in a more
: elegant way.

How do you mean more elegant?  What could be more elegant than that?

However... Slackware comes with a script called showaudio, which just
does 'cat $1 > /dev/audio' .... happy?

     http://www.aston.ac.uk/~hartnupj/ | or you can save it until later...

Post by C. Montgome » Fri, 09 Jun 1995 04:00:00

|> Hi, I usually use cat xxx.au > /dev/audio to play .au files.
|> Is there any good program that can play .au file in a more
|> elegant way.

That's about as elegant as one could possibly get! :)  FWIW, I think vplay will
play .au.

Monty

Post by Alan Shut » Sat, 10 Jun 1995 04:00:00

C> (Ta Cheng Lin) writes:

Quote:>>>  Hi, I usually use cat xxx.au > /dev/audio to play .au files.  Is
>>> there any good program that can play .au file in a more elegant
>>> way.

C> That's about as elegant as one could possibly get! :) FWIW, I think
C> vplay will play .au.

IN any case, sox will.  As well as wav, voc, mac snds, aiff, 8svx and
others...

1. "au-play" (plays *.au's thru speaker, no sound card needed)

I've uploaded "au-play.tar.z" to tsx-11.mit.edu where it should eventually
end up in the /pub/linux/ALPHA directory.

It plays Sun-style audio files ("*.au") through the internal speaker.
No sound-card is needed, and it won't use it even if you've got one.  <shrug>

One thing I forgot to mention in the README:

        YOU MAY HAVE TO CHANGE THE "DELAY" CONSTANT IN "au-play.c".

This code is *very* hardware-dependant, since it uses <gag> delay loops.
I have it set for my whimpy 386s/20, but it's easily changed.  Don't try to
optimize ("cc -O...") the compilation, since that would remove the delays.

Send a postcard, get one back! | Enposxtigu bildkarton kaj vi ricevos alion!
          RICK MILLER // 16203 WOODS // MUSKEGO, WIS. 53150 // USA

...and yes, the latest Linux Device List is *almost* ready to post.

--

2. s:tcsh vs csh

3. question: Who is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx tell xxx.yyy.yyy.zzz

4. root on RSM2000 ?

5. no sound when doing cat XXX.au > /dev/audio

6. sar problem

7. Arpresolve error: can't allocate llinfo for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

8. Linux & Win98 : Ping but no other contact!!?!

9. These "ICMP redirect from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" errors

10. Installation freezing at "Add default route xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" with NE2000 card

11. kernel: ICMP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: Source route failed

12. Telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 25

13. Arpresolve error: can't allocate llinfo for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx