enlightenment keyboard shortcuts Q's: using the win key, using c+a+sh, conf file?

enlightenment keyboard shortcuts Q's: using the win key, using c+a+sh, conf file?

Post by David Li » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 15:46:40

Hi,

I like the keyboard shortcuts in enlightenment, however, I'm runing into a
few problems:

1. I can't use the WIN key for any shortcuts. For example, I would like WIN
to open the menu (like windows)
2. I tried setting keys to Ctrl + Alt + Shift + <some key>. They work while
I'm in session, but as soon as I log out, they get changed to Ctrl + Shift.
Even if I save the session.
3. When I change settings, do they get stored in some conf file? That would
be nice so that I could perform edits to import changes quickly instead of
going through the GUI. I grepped on obvious strings, but I couldn't find a
configuration file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David

Post by Stephen Ran » Sun, 29 Apr 2001 00:59:06

> I like the keyboard shortcuts in enlightenment, however, I'm runing into a
> few problems:

> 1. I can't use the WIN key for any shortcuts. For example, I would like WIN
> to open the menu (like windows)

Not sure about this.  xev might help you to discover what
keysym/keycode (not sure which you need) it generates.  ATM I'm on a
Happy Hacking keyboard, with nary an OS-specific feature in sight, so
I can't help you there.  You might have to use xmodmap (with its
slightly arcane syntax) or xkeycaps (if you can persuade it to
cooperate) to assign it to a spare keysym/keycode and then assign that
to a useful function.

Quote:> 2. I tried setting keys to Ctrl + Alt + Shift + <some key>. They work while
> I'm in session, but as soon as I log out, they get changed to Ctrl + Shift.
> Even if I save the session.

Sounds like you're using an oldish version of Enlightenment (with the
conf tool that was kind-of replaced with menu options in later
versions).  Not sure whether an upgrade would help or not, though.
The session thing seems a bit odd; is there an option to save settings
in the Enlightenment conf tool?  I can't remember.

Quote:> 3. When I change settings, do they get stored in some conf file? That would
> be nice so that I could perform edits to import changes quickly instead of
> going through the GUI. I grepped on obvious strings, but I couldn't find a
> configuration file.

In the version I've got, keyboard shortcuts are in
~/.enlightenment/keybindings.cfg if it exists, otherwise in
/usr/share/enlightenment/config/keybindings.cfg (possible
dist-dependent; try `locate keybindings.cfg'), which you have to
modify by hand (well, with the editor of your choice).

All slightly vague, but perhaps you can use the above as a starting
point and take it from there.

Stephen

--
988386614