Good CAD package(s) for Linux??

Post by Ralph Segu » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 03:40:41

I'm having trouble finding CAD packages for Linux that are usable.
Most of them have user interfaces that range from bizarre to
attrocious and some go downhill from there...
I've used Chief Architect for Windows, and nothing I've seen or used
on Linux comes even close to CA's level of usability and intuition.

I have a couple of applications:

-architectural:  house plan, garage, workshop, ...
  Need:  plan view, elevations, 3D perspective views, roof (??),
export to other formats (Chief Architect, ...).  Export to 3D format
(VRML, POV, ...) for better  renderings.  Multiple layers, ...

-3D part designs:
  CSG primitives, extrusions, holes,
  Export to other formats (other CAD packages, POV, VRML, ...)
  Export for CNC milling

I'm fine with using two different CAD packages to solve these
problems, but I'd love to do it in Linux instead of Windows.

Thanks!
-Ralph
rpseguin AT yahoo DOT com
http://mybrain.org/~ralph/Forsale.html

Good CAD package(s) for Linux??

Post by Andreas Ollinge » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 04:22:07

> I'm having trouble finding CAD packages for Linux that are usable.
> Most of them have user interfaces that range from bizarre to
> attrocious and some go downhill from there... I've used Chief
> Architect for Windows, and nothing I've seen or used on Linux comes
> even close to CA's level of usability and intuition.

> I have a couple of applications:

> -architectural:  house plan, garage, workshop, ...
>   Need:  plan view, elevations, 3D perspective views, roof (??),
> export to other formats (Chief Architect, ...).  Export to 3D format
> (VRML, POV, ...) for better  renderings.  Multiple layers, ...

> -3D part designs:
>   CSG primitives, extrusions, holes,
>   Export to other formats (other CAD packages, POV, VRML, ...) Export
>   for CNC milling

Take a look at:

http://www.tech-edv.co.at/lunix/CADlinks.htm

--
Visit the LUnIx HP: http://www.tech-edv.co.at/lunix/

Good CAD package(s) for Linux??

Post by deckerbe » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 05:26:53

And of course we have the exciting news that Pro/Engineer (a real CAD/CAM
system) just ported to Linux :-)

Quote:> I'm having trouble finding CAD packages for Linux that are usable.
> Most of them have user interfaces that range from bizarre to
> attrocious and some go downhill from there...
> I've used Chief Architect for Windows, and nothing I've seen or used
> on Linux comes even close to CA's level of usability and intuition.

> I have a couple of applications:

> -architectural:  house plan, garage, workshop, ...
>   Need:  plan view, elevations, 3D perspective views, roof (??),
> export to other formats (Chief Architect, ...).  Export to 3D format
> (VRML, POV, ...) for better  renderings.  Multiple layers, ...

> -3D part designs:
>   CSG primitives, extrusions, holes,
>   Export to other formats (other CAD packages, POV, VRML, ...)
>   Export for CNC milling

> I'm fine with using two different CAD packages to solve these
> problems, but I'd love to do it in Linux instead of Windows.

> Thanks!
> -Ralph
> rpseguin AT yahoo DOT com
> http://mybrain.org/~ralph/Forsale.html

Good CAD package(s) for Linux??

Post by Bob Ze » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 05:39:05

Quote:> Thanks!
> -Ralph
> rpseguin AT yahoo DOT com
> http://mybrain.org/~ralph/Forsale.html

when is solidworks going to wake up and port to linux?!?!?!?

I MEAN SERIOUSLY!!!!!!

bob z.

p.s. bill gates, if you are reading this feel free to...

Good CAD package(s) for Linux??

Post by wgates66 » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 06:43:53

Quote:> And of course we have the exciting news that Pro/Engineer (a real CAD/CAM
> system) just ported to Linux :-)

WHAT?!

WHERE?!

are you serious, or just hopeful?

--john

Good CAD package(s) for Linux??

Post by deckerbe » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 06:51:13

"from PTC's own site:

http://www.ptc.com/germany/company/newsletter/inews/inhalt_03_00/53.pdf

...also see the thread 'PRO/E for Linux'.

> > And of course we have the exciting news that Pro/Engineer (a real
CAD/CAM
> > system) just ported to Linux :-)

> WHAT?!

> WHERE?!

> are you serious, or just hopeful?

> --john

Good CAD package(s) for Linux??

Post by Ben H. Loosl » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 10:30:27

Quote:

> when is solidworks going to wake up and port to linux?!?!?!?

It cannot because it is too imbedded with Windows. Pro/E can because it is
still Unix based.

Good CAD package(s) for Linux??

Post by Phrost » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 11:42:15

also in issue #92 of the linux journal( http://www.ssc.com/lj ) there
was an article "MainStream Linux" by Robin Lowe it says "Catia V5 runs
successfully
on Linux" they(IBM/Dessult) just have not decided if they want to
market it.  this was per Anthony Marechal media relations spokesman.

then there are the others we've had for years: Varicad(just released a
new version), qcad(simple but fast), cycas(does a nice POV),,,

there are choices and they are getting better every day.

--
Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS,
http://www.freelists.org/list/cad-linux

Good CAD package(s) for Linux??

Post by Christopher Brown » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 13:24:39

> also in issue #92 of the linux journal( http://www.ssc.com/lj ) there
> was an article "MainStream Linux" by Robin Lowe it says "Catia V5 runs
> successfully
> on Linux" they(IBM/Dessult) just have not decided if they want to
> market it.  this was per Anthony Marechal media relations spokesman.

> then there are the others we've had for years: Varicad(just released a
> new version), qcad(simple but fast), cycas(does a nice POV),,,

> there are choices and they are getting better every day.

Nobody's mentioned LinuxCAD yet; it's billed as the most important
Linux software ever made, useful to everyone, for every purpose :-).

<sarcasm>
It's a floor wax; it's a dessert topping; no, it's BOTH, and it
fabulously replaces AutoCAD, Visio, and every other package you might
have thought of using to draw things.
</sarcasm>

[Before _thinking_ about flaming, first take a look at the URL
below...  :-)]

It's _very_ nice to see an increasingly credible set of options
available.

I'm not sure that they will necessarily satisfy the crowd that would
like "AutoCad Kitchen and Living Room Redecorating, for Linux," but
more choices are certainly preferable to way things used to be pretty
much limited to:
  a) Unsupported academic licenses to Bentley Microstation, and
  b) Spam from the makers of LinuxCAD...
--

http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/lincomothersoft.html
Rules of  the Evil Overlord #189. "I  will never tell the  hero "Yes I

Good CAD package(s) for Linux??

Post by Uwe Bonne » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 07:24:56

:>
:> when is solidworks going to wake up and port to linux?!?!?!?
:>
: It cannot because it is too imbedded with Windows. Pro/E can because it is
: still Unix based.

Winelib is a porting layer for those applications...

Bye

Good CAD package(s) for Linux??

Post by Dan Andre » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 07:53:29

Very true, think about it.  Design tables w/ StarOffice?

-Dan

> > when is solidworks going to wake up and port to linux?!?!?!?

> It cannot because it is too imbedded with Windows. Pro/E can because it is
> still Unix based.

Good CAD package(s) for Linux??

Post by Bob Ze » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 21:22:15

Quote:> Very true, think about it.  Design tables w/ StarOffice?

> -Dan

bob z. is thinking about.  bob z.  likes staroffice.  staroffice kicks
m$ office ass.

bob z.

Good CAD package(s) for Linux??

Post by Bob Ze » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 21:24:08

> > when is solidworks going to wake up and port to linux?!?!?!?

> It cannot because it is too imbedded with Windows. Pro/E can because it is
> still Unix based.

bob z. wonders why you say 'is it too imbedded with windows'.  a few
simple lines of code to take the weakest link in solidworks out - m$
excel!!!

bob z.
www.linuxwillprevail.com

Good CAD package(s) for Linux??

Post by wgates66 » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 23:01:40

> > Very true, think about it.  Design tables w/ StarOffice?

> > -Dan

> bob z. is thinking about.  bob z.  likes staroffice.  staroffice kicks
> m$ office ass.

i agree.

why not be able to any comma or tab delimited file. that way you can
create most things in ANY spreadsheet.

that or make the damn thing internal to solidworks.

--john

Good CAD package(s) for Linux??

Post by Bob Ze » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 22:54:40

Quote:> i agree.

> why not be able to any comma or tab delimited file. that way you can
> create most things in ANY spreadsheet.

> that or make the damn thing internal to solidworks.

> --john

make the damn thing internal to solidworks.  'nuff said.  how hard could
that possibly be?  bob z. knows that the portion of excel that is being
used is only barely scratching the surface of excel's abilities.  do any
of you take a shot gun to a* roach hunt?  no.  then why does
solidworks need all of the power of excel?  it just makes a very simple
task overly complex and unstable.

bob z. really likes john's sig. - 'wgates666'

bob z.

1. HELP! Good CAD package(s) for Linux??

I'm having great difficulty finding a good CAD package for Linux.
I've searched for and downloaded quite a few, and most of them have
user interfaces that range from bizarre to horrendous and downhill
from there...
I'd obviously prefer a free package, but I'm willing to pay for
something.

I have a couple of different applications (I'm fine with using
different CAD packages for each, but they have to be ok):

-architectural:   2 story house, garage, workshop, yard/lot plan
   plan view, elevations, 3D views, ease of use, multiple layers,
   roofing would be a nice bonus
   can export to other formats (Chief Architect, DXF, DWG, VRML, POV,
...)

-3D parts and mechanical design
   CSG, multiple layers, materials properties, ...
   export to (DXF, DWG, VRML, POV, ...)
   export for CNC milling/machining

What would you recommend?
Are there any packages for Linux that are intuitive, easy to use, ...?
Any ports or projects in the works?
Is this hopeless and I should just buy a Windows box?
If there really is nothing out there really intuitive, what about
rolling our own (maybe leveraging an existing project)?

Thanks!
-Ralph
rpseguin AT yahoo DOT com
http://mybrain.org/~ralph

2. 5.0 no usb keyboard at install

3. Any good 3D cad packages 4 linux/x?

4. Cable Modem Tweaks In Linux?

5. Anybody using mechanical CAD packages under Linux?

6. Compiling kernal 2.0.30 to include sound card

7. Any CAD package for linux ??

8. link command / binary

9. New CAD package for Linux.

10. CAD Package for Linux -- chicken and egg

11. brl cad package on linux?

12. Powerful CAD package for LINUX?

13. CAD package for Linux