Linux vs MS; point-n-click

Post by David Lewi » Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Trying out a switch to linux, and I have some frustrations.
How is linux going to be a successful replacement to NT if
I gota RTFM every time I want to do something simple like
install a program.  I am trying to setup a ftp server on a RR cable
modem cuz NT/WarFTP isn't doing what I want.  So far I finally
got linux installed <what a hastle, I thought NT was picky on hardware>
After that I am trying to figure out how to get on the net let alone install
glftpd and get user accounts setup.  From what I have read I gota download
some C code and compile it and then jump through some other hoops
to get my cable modem to work on linux.  Of course my provider says
I'm SOL since they do not support linux.  So then how difficult is it going
to be to get a linux ftp box up and running.  BTW with winblows I could
get my mom to install it and she has never even been on a puter.

thankx for reading....

Linux vs MS; point-n-click

Post by Chad » Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:00:00

As with everything in life information is the key to success.  With windows
the Subtle points of fine tuneing a system is burried deep within thousdand
dollar MS certification courses.  What you see on the outside is a "here
idiot click me and I will work for a little while" interface.  Now if you
want NT to run good and stable you can RTFM and all and it will.

This is my point.  If you want to get something to work do it right the
first time.  So with linux they skipped the middle step and give you all the
info up front.  So if you are lucky (read smart) enough to get it to work in
the first place then it will never let you down.

This is not saying Linux is better than NT just that the people who run
Linux well are better than the poeple who run NT at all.  :)

Quote:> Trying out a switch to linux, and I have some frustrations.
> How is linux going to be a successful replacement to NT if
> I gota RTFM every time I want to do something simple like
> install a program.  I am trying to setup a ftp server on a RR cable
> modem cuz NT/WarFTP isn't doing what I want.  So far I finally
> got linux installed <what a hastle, I thought NT was picky on hardware>
> After that I am trying to figure out how to get on the net let alone
install
> glftpd and get user accounts setup.  From what I have read I gota download
> some C code and compile it and then jump through some other hoops
> to get my cable modem to work on linux.  Of course my provider says
> I'm SOL since they do not support linux.  So then how difficult is it
going
> to be to get a linux ftp box up and running.  BTW with winblows I could
> get my mom to install it and she has never even been on a puter.

> thankx for reading....

Linux vs MS; point-n-click

Post by Hal Burgi » Wed, 22 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>Trying out a switch to linux, and I have some frustrations.  How is
>linux going to be a successful replacement to NT if I gota RTFM every
>time I want to do something simple like install a program.  I am trying
>to setup a ftp server on a RR cable modem cuz NT/WarFTP isn't doing
>what I want.  So far I finally got linux installed <what a hastle, I
>thought NT was picky on hardware> After that I am trying to figure out
>how to get on the net let alone install glftpd and get user accounts
>setup.  From what I have read I gota download some C code and compile
>it and then jump through some other hoops to get my cable modem to work
>on linux.  Of course my provider says I'm SOL since they do not support
>linux.  So then how difficult is it going to be to get a linux ftp box
>up and running.  BTW with winblows I could get my mom to install it and
>she has never even been on a puter.

OK, sounds like flamebait, but here's the deal. MS is designed so that
even an idiot can give it a go. This is good and bad. Good for the
idiots of the world, bad for those who want something a little more.
Both have their place.

Linux is different than MS. Things will go better when you don't deal
with it with the same predispositions. You will have to learn something
about it in order to get something useful out of it. There is that
learning curve. Until that hump is crossed there will be many
frustrations. Each frustration leads to a bit of acquired knowledge.
Once you know your way around a bit, things will keep getting easier.

--
Hal B

--

Linux vs MS; point-n-click

Post by Vivek Vaid (RA/ » Mon, 03 Apr 2000 05:00:00

Get "Linux for Dummies"

[...]
:
: thankx for reading....
:
:
:
:

--

1. tunnel point to point vs physical point to point

If you have 2 systems on a point to point link you would address them
by a /30 block? When creating 'gre' tunnel you can use /32 for example
ip addr add 1.0.0.1 peer 1.0.0.2 dev mydev.

why can't /32 of arbitray addressing be used on a point to point
between 2 systems?

2. HOW TO? From SLS to Slackware 2.0??

3. Single click vs double click

4. ppp terminates after a short time

5. KDE - Opening With Double-Click vs. Single-Click

6. IDE/ext2/??? strangeness

7. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

8. ksh ,csh,sh

9. X windows vs MS-windows 3.1 (MS wins)

10. MS vs. DOJ: impetus for a paradigm shift, against MS

11. KOffice vs OpenOffice vs MS Office

12. Point-to-Point-to-Point-to-Point ad nauseum

13. Point-to-Point-to-Point