Linux Laptop Recommendation

Post by KMA » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 10:22:42

I'm about to buy a laptop and would appreciate recommendations on what
to buy.

Willing to spend about $1,500 and am looking to make it a completely
MS free zone. Need to do something by the end of the week. All help
gladly accepted.

I run RedHat 7.2 on a desktop system and am fairly comfortable with
any fiddling that might be required.

http://www.linux-laptop.net/ibm.html
http://www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Laptop-HOWTO.html

Linux Laptop Recommendation

Post by Madhusudan Sing » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 11:59:54

Quote:> I'm about to buy a laptop and would appreciate recommendations on what
> to buy.

> Willing to spend about $1,500 and am looking to make it a completely
> MS free zone. Need to do something by the end of the week. All help
> gladly accepted.

> I run RedHat 7.2 on a desktop system and am fairly comfortable with
> any fiddling that might be required.

IBM Thinkpads (not i series) and ASUS Chembooks are good things to look into.

1. Linux Laptop recommendation?

Suppose I was buying a laptop/notebook which would run Linux.
I have a 9600b external modem which I will use with this machine.

I'm looking for:

*  386-SL (what are the clock speeds?)
*  8M and up (do notebooks take such quantities of memory?)
*  Ability to plug in external VGA monitor
*  monochrome ok
*  120M and up
*  ability to plug into ethernet at work
        How is this done?  Will this work with Linux?
*  3.5" floppy
*  serial port fast enough for the external modem
*  what does one do for a mouse?
*  4kg and below.

What would such a beast cost?   What's a good vendor to buy this from?
I've seen some LCD displays which I really hate.

Thanks,

        -ans.
--

2. After the FUD

3. Linux Laptop -- recommendations?

4. Ethernet (3c505) problems with slackware 2.3.0, Please help.

5. Linux laptop recommendations for a year in Spain.

6. Users Home Directories Being Visible

7. Linux Laptop Recommendations

8. HELP with ATAPI CD-ROM

9. Linux Laptop recommendations.?

10. Linux/Laptop-Notebook recommendations?

11. Laptop for linux recommendation wanted

12. recommendations for laptop running Linux/XFree86

13. Laptop recommendations for LINUX