Console graphics when leaving X

Post by Andreas Bernse » Mon, 03 Mar 2003 18:42:36

I'm having problems with the console graphics when leaving X. When I
boot into console mode everything works fine, but if I start X and then
not used. Instead they contain strange characters (sometimes in strange
colors too!).

I think it might have something to do with my "vga=10" option in
lilo.conf, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? Does anyone know a way to
reset the console graphics that might solve the problem? I tried the
"reset" command, but it doesn't reset the last erroneous rows.

Im running RedHat 8.0, XFree86-4.2.0-72, ncurses-5.2-28, kernel is 2.4.20.

Thanks!
/Andreas Bernsel

Console graphics when leaving X

Post by Faux_Pseud » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 10:51:45

 _.--- Andreas Bernsel spoke in comp.os.linux.misc --------._

Quote:> I think it might have something to do with my "vga=10" option in
> lilo.conf, but I'm not sure.

That setting shouldn't have anything to do with it.  If it was a hex
or octal number as shown in the Framebuffer HOWTO then it might.

Quote:> Does anyone know what the problem might be? Does anyone know a way to
> reset the console graphics that might solve the problem?

You can't really reset it as your arn't using any special mode to
reset.  Check out the Framebuffer HOWTO and give it a read through.
See if the options in there fix the problem.

Quote:> Im running RedHat 8.0, XFree86-4.2.0-72, ncurses-5.2-28, kernel is 2.4.20.

X and ncurses have nothing to do with the problem other then when you
kill X you have the problem.

'---...____ Faux_Pseudo ________________...---~~~

--
Free Trial Membership.  If you would like to join the Official Cadre
of Piller then send him an email Faux_Pseudo at Yahoo com for

1. Console graphics when leaving X

I'm having problems with the console graphics when leaving X. When I
boot into console mode everything works fine, but if I start X and then
not used. Instead they contain strange characters (sometimes in strange
colors too!).

I think it might have something to do with my "vga=10" option in
lilo.conf, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? Does anyone know a way to
reset the console graphics that might solve the problem? I tried the
"reset" command, but it doesn't reset the last erroneous rows.

Im running RedHat 8.0, XFree86-4.2.0-72, ncurses-5.2-28, kernel is 2.4.20.

Thanks!
/Andreas Bernsel

2. LAN to internet problem

3. Graphics console lost its "graphics-ness"

4. GCC (NEW BEE)

5. Left vs. Ctl-Left vs. Alt-Left

6. Setting up GNU/Linux WITHOUT DISTRIBUTIONS?

7. Xserver after CTL/ALT/BackSpace not leaving graphic registers in good state

8. Xlib and Xt Integration

9. S3 Virge/GX board with XFree86 can't leave Graphic mode

10. XF4.0 sometimes destroys the console on leaving it

11. Crashes that leave console switching working

12. PROBLEMS WITH CONSOLE TEST AFTER LEAVING X....

13. X crashes, leaves console unuseable