RFD: comp.os.linux.help reorganization

Post by Dave Sil » Fri, 16 Sep 1994 02:30:45

I recently conducted a straw poll in comp.os.linux.help regarding splitting
that group.  As a result of that poll, I've decided to propose the
following:

    1) Create comp.os.linux.help.hardware
    2) Create comp.os.linux.help.software
    3) Create comp.os.linux.help.video
    4) Create comp.os.linux.help.misc (comp.os.linux.help to be deleted)
    5) Create comp.os.linux.answers

From my article summarizing the poll results:

I received a total of 49 votes: 46 FOR, 3 AGAINST.  (A list of the e-mail
addresses is at the end of this article) [deleted]

There is clear support for a split of comp.os.linux.help along these lines.
Among the comments received were suggestions for further splits of
c.o.l.help and the creation of other Linux-related groups.  (Complete
summary of responses available upon request.)  Based upon these comments,
I'll be proposing the following comp.os.linux.* re-organization:

    1. Replace comp.os.linux.help with:

        comp.os.linux.help.hardware
            For help with questions or problems specific to a particular
            piece of hardware.

        comp.os.linux.help.software
            For help with questions or problems not specific to a particular
            piece of hardware.

        comp.os.linux.help.video
            For help with questions or problems relating to video hardware
            or software.  I know this wasn't part of the original straw
            poll, and that comp.windows.x.i386 ought to be used, but many
            newbies don't know about c.w.x.i.

        comp.os.linux.help.misc
            For help with questions or problems that don't fit in any of the
            other help categories, e.g., if yoy don't know whether it's a
            hardware or software question.

    2. Create:
        comp.os.linux.answers
            For posting Linux FAQs and How-To's.  This will help keep the
            traffic down in the c.o.l.help.* groups--only a single "Read
            before posting"-type message will be required.

--

Martin Marietta Energy Systems, Workstation Support
URL http://www.digital.com/info/dsill.html

Post by Matt Wel » Fri, 16 Sep 1994 22:47:20

>I recently conducted a straw poll in comp.os.linux.help

Probably not the best group to conduct such a poll.

Quote:>    2. Create:
>    comp.os.linux.answers
>        For posting Linux FAQs and How-To's.  This will help keep the
>        traffic down in the c.o.l.help.* groups--only a single "Read
>        before posting"-type message will be required.

This is what comp.os.linux.announce is for. It has been around for
some time, it's moderated, and it's got a readership of over 150,000.
Why on earth would you want to create another group?

M. Welsh