Can't compile dosemu with Slackware 3.0

Post by Woodha » Sun, 07 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I have just reinstalled my Linux system with Slackware 3.0. This was
largely because I have decided I need Dosemu (to run my Lotus 1-2-3)
and I wanted to have a reasonably up to date, ELF system before
starting on trying to make Dosemu work.

My system is running the idenet kernel (IDE and ethernet support)
version 1.2.13, gcc 2.7.0 (ELF), XFree 3.1.2 on a 486 with 8Mb ram,
16Mb swap. Everything is recently installed from Slackware 3.0.

I will give a long and a short version of the complaint and request.

The short version of the complaint is: I can't even get close to
getting dosemu to compile. It can't find header files, gives parse
errors from the C compiler etc etc. I have tried both versions 0.60.4
and 0.63.1.1.

The short version of the request is: Does anyone have a compiled
binary for dosemu that would run on my system? If so, please send me
mail. (Please DON'T send uuencoded binaries without checking with me
first - I don't want 30 1Mb mail messages landing in my mailbox.)

Alternatively, I think my problem comes from missing kernel source
header files. Can anyone point me to a complete set somewhere? (And
no, the complete uncompiled kernel source doesn't do it.)

The long version:

#define WHINE_MODE 1

Firstly, why is such a hassle required? Why can't Slackware provide a
plug-and-play precompiled dosemu with the distribution? Why do none of
the places I've seen dosemu ever provide binaries? All I can think of
is that there are so many system specific things that need to be known
to compile the binary that they couldn't provide a one-binary-fits-all
or even a choose-the-one-of-five-binaries-that-fits-your-system. If
this is so, how come the compilation instructions for dosemu don't
have a large section on configuring for your system?

And the hassle is enormous. I need the kernel source to do the
compile. (Just the header files? Who knows? Nobody tells me these
things. As the header files aren't available separately, it doesn't
make much difference.) However, the Slackware 3.0 distribution DOESN'T
INCLUDE THE KERNEL SOURCE. (Nowhere in the D series disks, nowhere in
the Q series, despite what the documentation says. I have looked
through all the disk contents files, greped them for 'source' and
'kernel' etc.) Oh well, off to sunsite, download the kernel 1.2.13
source. Uncompressed it comes to 9M! Ugh!  (Plus 5M for Dosemu source
plus who knows how much space to compile dosemu - I need to find 20+ M
of disk space to generate a perhaps 500k binary.)

There is a link that needs to be made in the source directory to get
the right assembler files, but that isn't too hard to find. Next the
dosemu make wants file linux/tools/version.h, but the tools directory
doesn't exist. The only version.h file is in linux/arch/i386/math-emu,
so I make tools a link to there and hope. Make goes for a long time
with a number of error messages until it halts with a parse error
compiling dpmi.c.

Reading the FAQ, I find that editing the Makefile to define
KERNEL_VERSION would be a good idea, so I do so (KERNEL_VERSION
defined as 1002013) but it still barfs over dpmi.c.

Reading comp.os.linux.misc (what happened to comp.os.linux.help? The
local system doesn't carry it anymore) I find several posts
recommending using dosemu0.63.1.1 with recent kernels, so I download
that and try again (having removed the bogus 'tools' link first.)

After running configure (as per QuickStart instructions) and editing
the Makefile to define KERNEL_VERSION make runs briefly before dying
needing /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h.

Quote:> make[2]: Entering directory `/scr/dosemu/src/tools'
> gcc -O2 tools86.c -o tools86
> In file included from /usr/include/endian.h:34,
>                  from /usr/include/ctype.h:43,
>                  from tools86.c:94:
> /usr/include/bytesex.h:6: linux/version.h: No such file or directory

(/usr/include/linux is a link to /usr/src/linux/include/linux.)

I have spent hours on this, with nothing to show for it except a full
hard disk and a large internet bill. (They charge per byte in this
part of the world.)

The long version of the request:

Please, in order of preference, could someone
(1) Tell me where I can get a working dosemu binary that will work
with my system.
(2) Tell me where I can get a version of the kernel source (headers
only?) that will actually work, with all the required
files.
(3) Tell me what to do with the kernel source I have to get the
correct headers in the correct places. (Compiling the source I have is
not an option - I don't have that much disk space - and is likely to
take me another 2 days to figure out how to do it anyway.)

Yours in frustration and desperation

Michael W.

Can't compile dosemu with Slackware 3.0

Post by Woodha » Sun, 07 Apr 1996 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:>The short version of the complaint is: I can't even get close to
>getting dosemu to compile. It can't find header files, gives parse
>errors from the C compiler etc etc. I have tried both versions 0.60.4
>and 0.63.1.1.

I have now found the correct header files in the Slackware distribution,
and Dosemu seems to have compiled OK. This problem, at least is
solved, so no more responses are needed. (I will try to cancel the