Getting files from Internet w/RedHat

Post by Lloyd Parson » Mon, 11 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I am relatively new at this linux thing, so I am having some
problems.  I am using RedHat V3.0.3 (picasso)

Particularly if I get files from the internet.

For instance, when I got the V2.4x cpio, it was in tgz format,
fortunately there was a readme on the directory that told me what I
needed to do to extract the files.

But, overall, many times I see x.tar.gz or x.tgz or whatever that is
out there.  If there is a readme, it always seems like it is
extracted somewhat differently, depending on what it is, or where I
get it.

Is there no standard in this?

I have been trying to only use rpm's (the RedHat installer stuff) for
the programs I need upgrades to, but it seems like most of the gnu
stuff and a lot of others is not available that way.
--
// Lloyd Parsons
// Herrin, IL

Post by Evan Jeffr » Tue, 12 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: But, overall, many times I see x.tar.gz or x.tgz or whatever that is
: out there.  If there is a readme, it always seems like it is
: extracted somewhat differently, depending on what it is, or where I
: get it.
:
: Is there no standard in this?

Well, it is all the same format, but there are many different possible
commands to extract it.  As long as your tar supports it (It should) the
easist command is "tar -xvzf fname"  which means:

tar:  tape archive format
x:    eXtract
v:    verbose--print all the filenames.  not necissary, but I like it.
z:    run it through gunzip first
f:    extract from a file rather than a tape
filename :...

Watch out.  Tars "should" be made such that they will blow up in a seperate
subdir.  However, occasionally they aren't so courtious, and just blow up in
the current directory.  You can use "tar -tzf filename" to look inside and
see what is there.

Evan Jeffrey

Post by Michael K. Johns » Tue, 12 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>I have been trying to only use rpm's (the RedHat installer stuff) for
>the programs I need upgrades to, but it seems like most of the gnu
>stuff and a lot of others is not available that way.

Huh?  Most of the GNU stuff is indeed available in RPM format;
much of it comes with the distribution, and most of the rest
is available as user-contributed RPMs.  We have over 600MB of
user-contributed RPMs on our ftp site.

michaelkjohnson

"Ever wonder why the SAME PEOPLE make up ALL the * theories?"