Install hangs on "idle process cannot sleep"

Install hangs on "idle process cannot sleep"

Post by David H. Co » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi --

I am new to Linux (although not new to UNIX).

I am trying to install Red Hat 5.2 (the Macmillan boxed set) on a Compaq
Presario 4532. The process dies fairly early after saying "idle process cannot
sleep" five times.

Any ideas?

Can anybody even parse this Zen message?

TIA -- David

Install hangs on "idle process cannot sleep"

Post by Sam E. Trenhol » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I am trying to install Red Hat 5.2 (the Macmillan boxed set) on a Compaq
>Presario 4532. The process dies fairly early after saying "idle process cannot
>sleep" five times.

How much memory do you have?  RedHat Linux is a pain to install unless you
have at least 16 megs of ram.

If you want a guaranteed install, try Slackware.  Slackware will install
in just about anything.

- Sam

--
Email address here: http://www.samiam.org/ssi/mailme.shtml
Music I write here: http://www.mp3.com/sam http://www.samiam.org/mp3

Post by D. Vrabe » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> >I am trying to install Red Hat 5.2 (the Macmillan boxed set) on a Compaq
> >Presario 4532. The process dies fairly early after saying "idle process cannot
> >sleep" five times.

> How much memory do you have?  RedHat Linux is a pain to install unless you
> have at least 16 megs of ram.

> If you want a guaranteed install, try Slackware.  Slackware will install
> in just about anything.

I have found that Debian has a painless way of installing on computers
with little memory.

David
--
David Vrabel
Engineering Undergraduate at University of Cambridge, UK.